Notepad problems

wolfmandim

I am using the latest version of Windows 11 (23H2).
When I use Notepad it does not shutdown after saving my work.
I have to close it using the Task Manager.
This is very frustrating and annoying.
Please bring the old version back.

Hello,

I understand how frustrating this issue must be. The problem you're experiencing with Notepad doesn't seem to be a general issue, but rather a unique situation that can have multiple potential causes. Here are some troubleshooting steps to address your Notepad issue:

1. **Update**: Ensure your software is up to date. Check for both Windows and Notepad updates.

2. **Reinstall Notepad**: Go to Settings > Apps > Optional Features > Add a Feature > find Notepad and install it.

3. **Clean Boot**: Sometimes, 3rd party software can interfere with Notepad and cause it not to shut down correctly. A clean boot will help you determine if that's the case. Here’s how:
- Type "System Configuration" in the Search box and click on it.
- Click on the "Services" tab, and then check the "Hide all Microsoft Services box" at the bottom, then click "Disable All".
- Click the "Startup" tab, then "Open Task Manager".
- In Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click "Disable".
- Close Task Manager.
- On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

4. **SFC (System File Checker)**: This is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To run it:
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator
- Type "sfc /scannow" and press Enter. The scan should start (this might take a while).

Regarding the reinstating of the old version of Notepad, Microsoft aims to improve and update their software, including Notepad, with each release. Rolling back to older versions is generally not recommended as it can leave your system vulnerable to security threats. Instead, it's better to work on resolving the issue with the current version.

Remember to create a system restore point before doing any of these, so you have a backup to roll back to in case something goes wrong. If none of these solutions work, it might be a more specific issue with your PC and you may have to contact Microsoft Support directly.

I hope these steps help to resolve your Notepad issue.

Back