Windows 10 Nothing working after resetting

EternalDeath

I reset windows and kept all my files then I moved all my program files from windows.old to my actual program files after which I deleted windows.old it is still not completely deleted yet but that is beside the point.
I open up Microsoft Edge since chrome wasn't working and it just stayed on the blue screen with the E on it, opened up the store, it crashed before showing anything at all, I can't press the windows key to open the thing that opens when you press the windows key, notifications don't open, cortana doesn't work I ran SFC, it showed everything was fine and about 2 mind after that I got blue screen of death .
Do I have to reset windows again? Or is there something I can do to fix all this ?

BTW the reason I resetted in the first place is because Grove Music wasn't working

Pc specs:
bought the parts and put it together, bought win 10 along with the parts and instaled after wards, got all of em except GPU on june 19th 2016
mother board: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
cpu: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.2Ghz 8MB
PSU: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1070
Windows Version: 1607, OS Build: 14393.22

Last edited:
It clearly would be helpful if we knew at least the Make/Model of the computer this is happening on. Is it a desktop PC or a laptop? Is it a self-built rig or a custom-built rig? If so, please provide all hardware specs including Make/Model of your Motherboard, GPU card, CPU chip, and PSU Make/Model/Wattage.

Also, is the computer you have your W10 on a computer that came pre-loaded from the factory with W10 on it, or did you upgrade from an earlier version of windows, such as W7/W8x or older??

If your machine came from the factory with W10, and it was purchased prior to Aug. 2, 2016, the release date of the Anniversary Update (AU v1607), it's possible the AU has scrambled your computer. That's happened to me twice this week on 2 different computers, my desktop and my main laptop.

Here's how to tell what version you have: Widen date/time area in taskbar system tray.
Please post back your exact W10 version. If you have v1511 or older on your W10 machine, you should attempt to turn of Windows Updates completely for awhile as here: Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ.

If you upgraded your computer from an earlier version of windows as suggested, you more than likely could be experiencing coincidental hardware failure. If you did your own W10 upgrade, did you remember to run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST on your machine before completing the upgrade? If you didn't, it's quite likely you have some failing hardware in that computer and you should consider testing your hardware and replacing any broken components and these reinstalling W10 via Clean Install. Then once running, disable the WUDO settings as in 2nd link above. This will fix about 90% of the problems with older computers.:up:

For your reference, here's a really good Troubleshooting guide I have on W10 hardware testing: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar.

Post back your specs, and take a look at these links.

Good luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

It clearly would be helpful if we knew at least the Make/Model of the computer this is happening on. Is it a desktop PC or a laptop? Is it a self-built rig or a custom-built rig? If so, please provide all hardware specs including Make/Model of your Motherboard, GPU card, CPU chip, and PSU Make/Model/Wattage.

If your machine came from the factory with W10, and it was purchased prior to Aug. 2, 2016, the release date of the Anniversary Update (AU v1607), it's possible the AU has scrambled your computer. That's happened to me twice this week on 2 different computers, my desktop and my main laptop.

For your reference, here's a really good Troubleshooting guide I have on W10 hardware testing: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar.

Post back your specs, and take a look at these links.

Good luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

specs are up, turns out i have two problems, the win 10 version is 1607 and it isnt detecting on of my 8 GB sticks, installed RAM shows up as 8 instead of the 16 i actually have, so ill fix that now,
i built it myself so it didnt come with win 10 installed, does that still count? and how to fix?
thanks for your help so far

Ok, thanks, I didn't see that I guess I wasn't awake when I posted. However, your Mobo appears to be a 64bit CPU, since it's an i7 and all of those are 64bit chips. Did you remember to install a 64bit version of W10 Home or Pro? That's crucial otherwise your Motherboard will only work with 3GB of RAM maximum, and won't recognize the rest of your RAM (it would help to know the exact RAM specs) up to 16GB apparently? You have 2 8-GB sticks then? I would first test both of those sticks independently with the MEMTEST diagnostic as here:
Memory Diagnostics. Make certain you run each stick for a minimum of 8 passes or overnight. If MEMTEST returns any errors on either stick, you will need to replace it and rerun the MEMTEST until no errors are found.

A common problem we see on self-built PCs is that folks install a 32bit OS on a 64bit CPU chip.:noway: The other issue is that the sticks can be mismatched. That's very important whenever exceeding 10GB of RAM or more on your Motherboard. Since you didn't provide us the RAM specs we have to guess what you have. But, at the very least they should be identical Makes (Kingson, G-Skill, etc.) and the same speed spec such as PC3-10800. Mismatching of RAM sticks is a very common mistake in self-builds. :rolleyes:

Let us know what you find.
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Ok, thanks, I didn't see that I guess I wasn't awake when I posted. However, your Mobo appears to be a 64bit CPU, since it's an i7 and all of those are 64bit chips. Did you remember to install a 64bit version of W10 Home or Pro? That's crucial otherwise your Motherboard will only work with 3GB of RAM maximum, and won't recognize the rest of your RAM (it would help to know the exact RAM specs) up to 16GB apparently? You have 2 8-GB sticks then? I would first test both of those sticks independently with the MEMTEST diagnostic as here:
Memory Diagnostics. Make certain you run each stick for a minimum of 8 passes or overnight. If MEMTEST returns any errors on either stick, you will need to replace it and rerun the MEMTEST until no errors are found.

A common problem we see on self-built PCs is that folks install a 32bit OS on a 64bit CPU chip.:noway: The other issue is that the sticks can be mismatched. That's very important whenever exceeding 10GB of RAM or more on your Motherboard. Since you didn't provide us the RAM specs we have to guess what you have. But, at the very least they should be identical Makes (Kingson, G-Skill, etc.) and the same speed spec such as PC3-10800. Mismatching of RAM sticks is a very common mistake in self-builds. :rolleyes:

Let us know what you find.
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

it is defiantly 64-bit, just fixed RAM, maybe i just didn't install them properly when i first built it, but i took them out, put them back in and they work
ya, 2 8-sticks, both of em are GSkill, came in the same pack and everything all of this started when i deleted windows.old after which groove broke, should i just reset win 10 again, and not delete windows.old this time? but i dont want it on my SSD, is there any way to make windows save to my hard drive insted?
oh and also, i posted PC specs after you asked that i do, so you arent going crazy :)

.... then I moved all my program files from windows.old to my actual program files after which I deleted windows.old...
For my understanding, did you really copy all files from C:\Windows.old\Program Files\ into C:\Windows \Program Files\ ???

it is defiantly 64-bit, just fixed RAM, maybe i just didn't install them properly when i first built it, but i took them out, put them back in and they work
ya, 2 8-sticks, both of em are GSkill, came in the same pack and everything all of this started when i deleted windows.old after which groove broke, should i just reset win 10 again, and not delete windows.old this time? but i dont want it on my SSD, is there any way to make windows save to my hard drive insted?
oh and also, i posted PC specs after you asked that i do, so you arent going crazy :)
If I were you I'd download the latest drivers from the driver support page for windows 10:
ASUS Global

Once they are downloaded keep them safe on a zip drive or disk.

Download and create a Windows 10 install disk.
Windows 10

Perform a clean install booting from the disk itself.

Once Windows 10 is installed you can then apply the drivers you saved starting with the chipset.

Back