Office

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I currently have Microsoft Office home and student 2019.
I have been reading about it and get conflicting opinions.
Supposedly mainstream support ends in 2023 October and then there's two years of extended support.
This seems to contradict that it's supposed to be a perpetual license.
I tried Libreoffice but it really doesn't cut it.
I hate subscriptions.
I guess I can buy another home and student but it's quite pricey.
Are we all being forced into subscriptions to use word?
What would you suggest I do?

As you mentioned, Microsoft Office home and student 2019 is indeed a perpetual license, which means that you can continue to use the software even after the end of mainstream support in 2023, with some limitations. During the extended support period, you will still receive security updates, but you will not receive any new features or non-security updates.

It is important to note that Microsoft has been shifting its focus towards its subscription model, Microsoft 365, which offers additional features and benefits, such as cloud storage and collaboration tools. However, it is not mandatory to switch to a subscription model to use Microsoft Office.

If you do not want to switch to a subscription model, one option is to consider upgrading to the latest version of Microsoft Office when it becomes available. This will ensure that you have the latest features and updates, and will also reset the support period. Another option is to continue using Microsoft Office home and student 2019 after the end of mainstream support, while keeping in mind that you will no longer receive non-security updates.

Alternatively, you can explore other free and open-source alternatives to Microsoft Office, such as Apache OpenOffice or Google Docs. These alternatives may not have all the same features as Microsoft Office, but they can still be effective for basic tasks and may be a good fit for your specific needs.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to upgrade or continue using your current version of Microsoft Office depends on your specific needs and preferences. However, it is important to keep in mind that there are still alternatives available if you do not want to switch to a subscription model.

Sorry to reply so late. I wanted you to know I chose my current Office as indicated and will stay with it .
Thank you

There are a few questions here.
  • Difference between perpetual and subscription
    • Perpetual : You pay once for the license and that's it. Software version still reach an end of life, you can still use it past that date but it's not recommended for security and potentially the it may not function on future OSes
    • Subscription : Pretty straight forward, you pay a smaller fee monthly or yearly and it continues to receive updates. There are value added services here such as data sync to the cloud and between devices and getting other services such as OneDrive
  • What is the difference between Mainstream and Extended support
    • Mainstream support includes new feature and security updates
    • Extended support includes only security updates

Office 2019 has extended support until 10/14/2025 so you have a few more years to use it and still receive security updates

Last point I see deals here and there where you can buy the perpetual versions Office 20XX for very cheap and are legitimate purchases. I have seen as low as $49, so look out for those if you want to upgrade, don't want the sub and don't want to spend a much of money.

Back