Windows 7 One to anover

PcBoyGeorge

Is it possible to transfer program files to another. Since i have a full licenced copy of Tune-up utilities on vista and i have no more licences left and i want it on 7.

Also i hardly use my vista and its pointless now. Is there a way where i copy all the program file folder of it and move it to 7. So it contains all the activated stuff and such. Because i dont want to buy another copy for £30 for one extra os.

I don't use that program - but usually you would get the setup.exe and the product key , like you do with an o/s.

Assuming you have those, surely you just install it on 7 and insert the product key.

P.S I am Triple booting Vista x64, 7x64 and 7x86. On my setup, Vista is just as responsive and fast as 7 - it also boots faster.

Last edited:
If this is software that requires a license key, then probably not, as the key will be tied in someway to that install ont hat system. There are many way to do that.

But, otherwise, some software will work if you just copy over the program files folder.

I never purchase any so called tuneup programs, there are plenty of good free ones that do the same work just as well.

CCleaner to start, (there is no reason at all to use any registry cleaners, compactors blah blah, even the CCLeaner one, they are pointless) Unless you are having a serious registry problem, and only then as a potential fix after a full data backup. Registry cleaners do more damage than good.

Auslogics Defrag (not any other app from them, they are not really needed for tuneup)
This is only used as a preliminary defrag, then run a full windows defrag.
or
JkDefrag is pretty good

That's it. All you need. Nothing else (software wise) is really needed for a full system Tune Up.
All others are a waste of money.

Last edited:
I don't use that program - but usually you would get the setup.exe and the product key , like you do with an o/s.

Assuming you have those, surely you just install it on 7 and insert the product key.

P.S I am Triple booting Vista x64, 7x64 and 7x86. On my setup, Vista is just as responsive and fast as 7 - it also boots faster.

Its because my vista is like corrupted. Since i have to have this to defrag my drive since my normal vista defrag is busted.
But i notiched there are vista files inside and i cant see no setup file in there. Is there any other soluttion to move it over to 7. Sinces its £30 for a whole new licence just for one new os on the same pc.

The setup.exe will be what you originally used to install the program - like any program - rt click the setup.exe, run as admin - it installs from that.

If you no longer have that, or the key, you may be able to make it work by copying and pasting the entire Tune up folder from program files in Vista to Program files (x86 ) in 7.

You would probably also need all the registry entries to be merged into 7.

You can find those and make a.reg file using the free regscanner program from Nir Sofer.

RegScanner Tool: Alternative to RegEdit find/search of Windows

The difficulty is many of those reg entries will be pointing at the Vista Drive letter - unless the 7 drive letter is the same as the Vista one was - might not merge properly.

An alternative is to see if you can find a d/l for the same version of the program - and install that.

You then only need to locate the product key in the registry - scan with regscanner and look through to find it.

Or you can contact Tune up - tell them you need to reinstall the o/s and ask how you go about reinstalling the program and license key - they may give you another - depends how good their support is.

Back