PDF Viewer alternatives to Adobe and Foxit, poll included

Which PDF Viewer do you use

• Total voters

Axel PC

Honorable Member
I haven't used Adobe Reader on my home PC in years! I've been using Foxit Reader since then. It was a perfect replacement for Adobe. However, over the past few iterations it's become bloated and performance wasn't as snappy as it once was.

I use PDFs on a regular basis. I scan all my hard copies into PDF for long term storage and so I don't have to worry about physically storing them or emergencies (flood or fire etc) So I need a PDF reader to view those documents. I tried Sumtra PDF, super fast, but it's ugly and too basic for my.

So if ya'll can recommend some PDF viewers that you actually use, other than Foxit Reader and Sumatra PDF, I would appreciate it. It's difficult to shift through genuine website "reviews" because they are mostly regurgitation of the PDF viewer company's description or paid off reviews.

Oh yeah and for fun I've included a poll. What real Geek doesn't like a pool on this stuff!?

Thank you!

Yeah I've used that one in a pinch. But I need a dedicated PDF viewer. I have hundreds of PDFs, multi paged PDFs, lots of black and white documents but also a lot of color PDFs, I email PDFs as attachments, I even sign PDFs, so almost everything BUT convert to PDF. But yeah Chrome viewer is a great basic browser viewer.

Hm, interesting. Might look into that for the conversion aspect of it. But it's not a dedicated viewer though.

Firefox.

No need to install another program just to view pdf files when pretty much all browsers have a built in pdf viewer.

Hm, looks like most people just "view" pdfs in web browsers? Doesn't anyone convert pdfs from word documents when emailing them for security purposes or so that the documents don't accidentally get compromised?

You can convert word documents to PDFs with word plus I wouldn't really call that a security feature, it's just as easy to modify a pdf as it is a word docuemnt and plus PDF files can have embedded executables, so a PDF is more of a security risk than a Word document.

I meant as in preventing the document from being accidentally changed.
I don't think it's, easy, so to speak, to open a locked from editing pdf unless you have the password.
Plus I'm talking about important documents like personal medical files etc. Not downloaded ebooks and the like. That type of stuff I'm not worried about. It's the important personal documents.

If they are really important I would keep them in encrypted containers. Passwords are pretty easy to remove from PDFs

You're right I could do something with an encrypted folder. But that would pose more of an inconvenience. I'm comfortable with a strong password. I can't imagine a scenario where someone is going to try to use brute force software on my hundreds of my PDFs. Sure easy to say but not practical.

For viewing pdfs I stick to Adobe Reader. For editing I purchased Master PDF Editor. With this software you can do everything you possibly want to do with a pdf.

@altae Huh, I've never heard of Master PDF Editor, $50 bucks for full blown editing. That's really good! Is that a one time purchase? Or do you have to keep buying future updates?

The website states the following: "All licenses are valid indefinitely for the software product version they were purchased for. In addition, our customers are provided with free updates and technical support during one year from the date of the purchase. After that, updates and support are available at half-price for any other year."

P.S. There is a free Linux version available that comes with almost all functions. Only a few are restricted to the paid version. If you got a virtual Linux machine that would be a great way to test the software.

I've been using Sumatra PDF for probably 4 years now. It's light in size compared to Adobe Reader.

Back