Picking up CB chats through my speakers

Sonny

Excellent Member
I am not sure what is going on. This has just started and whenever it happens my mouse will freeze up until the chatting stops. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is starting to annoy me. :mad:

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600) Computer Type Dell Ispiron 530 Processor Intel Core l(tm) Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20 GHz 2.20GHz Motherboard Dell Inc. 0RY007 Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT Memory Dimm 4x1 gb Network Adapter Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Monitor DELL E228WFP [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n KU31182R0U4S, February 2008) Anti-virus Software AVG (Free Edition) Windows Experience Index 4.5

I have a Microsoft wireless optical keyboard and mouse. Could that possibly be part of the problem?

Last edited:
check connections

This may help you and may not, but.... Many years ago I had a neighbor 2 doors away who told me that I was talking on his stereo from my home based CB radio. His obvious thought was that I was using an illegal amplifier and that was the cause of his reception. I was not using any more than the legal 4 watts and he inspected my system and was satisfied. A few weeks later, he came back to me and told me that he had found a bad ground connection in his speaker system and when he fixed that, the interference stopped. This is only to say check all your speaker connections closely as one step in diagnosis. Beyond that, I probably cannot help you much. Good Luck.

Thank you John. I took your advice checked for loose or bad connections. I couldn't find anything. I had another set of speakers that have never been used and have hooked them up. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I am a retired truck driver and still enjoy talking to other truckers out there as long as it don't interfer with my computer. Have a great day!

That kind of thing is frustrating, a week or so ago I started picking up our local AM radio station on my monitor speakers. Come to find out that the connection to my system was halfway unplugged, pushed it back in and it stopped ....pulled it back a little and it starts. Very weird stuff...drove me crazy...:)

It is weird! I thought after putting a new set of speakers in place of my old ones that the problem was fixed. Forget that. After a couple of days it started up again. I guess I am just going to have to live with it. Thanks everybody for your help.

couple of more "shots in the dark"

It is weird! I thought after putting a new set of speakers in place of my old ones that the problem was fixed. Forget that. After a couple of days it started up again. I guess I am just going to have to live with it. Thanks everybody for your help.

Are you using shielded audio cable throughout? Check that you have good contact between the spring loaded contacts in the female speaker plugs on the computer and the male plug on your speaker cord. Try using first the rear, then front, speaker plugs on your computer if available. Try relocating the speakers and speaker wiring or the computer itself to whatever extent may be possible. Chances are good that you simply have a poor connection somewhere or have some unshielded audio cable. Weird as it may sound, you may find improvement by running the speaker wires through a section of metal conduit (which would act as a shield) and grounding the conduit to a safe earth ground through your home electrical system or an electrically conductive plumbing system (iron or copper piping). The material used for this experiment could be any kind of metal tubing and does not need to be specifically electrical conduit. Aluminum or even copper tubing works as well as any other electrically conductive material for this purpose. Providing a solid path to ground is the important thing here. Make sure your computer power cord is connected to a properly grounded three wire circuit.

Keep working with it, it is a solvable problem.

Good Luck, John

Are you using shielded audio cable throughout? Check that you have good contact between the spring loaded contacts in the female speaker plugs on the computer and the male plug on your speaker cord. Try using first the rear, then front, speaker plugs on your computer if available. Try relocating the speakers and speaker wiring or the computer itself to whatever extent may be possible. Chances are good that you simply have a poor connection somewhere or have some unshielded audio cable. Weird as it may sound, you may find improvement by running the speaker wires through a section of metal conduit (which would act as a shield) and grounding the conduit to a safe earth ground through your home electrical system or an electrically conductive plumbing system (iron or copper piping). The material used for this experiment could be any kind of metal tubing and does not need to be specifically electrical conduit. Aluminum or even copper tubing works as well as any other electrically conductive material for this purpose. Providing a solid path to ground is the important thing here. Make sure your computer power cord is connected to a properly grounded three wire circuit.

Keep working with it, it is a solvable problem.

Good Luck, John

Thank you John, I have checked and rechecked my connections and everything seems ok. I did call Comcast (ISP) and they are having a tech come out and check to make sure that I don't have a faulty cable coming into my place and also check the lines that are inside. Once that is done and if everything seems to check out. I will then try what you mentioned about using a metal conduit around the speaker wires. The chatter is not as bad as before but I still get annoyed with it when it does.

Just to let you know that the problem of cb chats has been solved. As weird as it may sound, it wasn't my speakers but was my wireless keyboard and mouse. It has been over two weeks now and no problems.

Back