Please accept cookies - as if you have any choice ...

anotherwindowsuser

So a few years ago, some losers who have very little experience with the Internet and sadly had political power decided to enforce the concept of the pop up alert on every website serving the E.U. asking the visitor for permission to accept cookies. I was just wondering if I start up a campaign to stop this annoying crap which wastes everyones time would it be popular? What are your thoughts? 😱

Well cookies are an important mechanism in providing functionality in websites, so getting rid of cookies won't happen and the reason you probably get the pop ups is thanks to the EU. They push a lot of legislator like this all the time. Believe it or not it's meant to help protect you, your data and your privacy.

Believe it or not it's meant to help protect you, your data and your privacy.

If you are already familiar with e data gathering of cookies and are wise enough to clear your crap out on a regular basis then it is an inconvenience to have to click ok before you enter a website.

This is what irritates me, why havn't browser developers implemented a function to stop this nonsense?

The EU has laws that basically states it is illegal for a website under EU jurisdiction to create a cookie without the user consenting (said pop-ups) to it. So A website cannot get rid of those pop-ups without breaking EU laws hence you will always have those pop-ups unless the EU changes it's laws.

I'll reiterate that I don't see any contradiction to the regulation if you are setting up the browser to consent to the cookies by default since its your choice to do so. This cookie acceptance is just a pain in the arse. Especially on mobile devices because they take up half your screen. Nobody is so dumb they needed to be reminded of them upon visiting every website. Nobody.

Do you really don't care that with the information they get they are able to construct a very detailed profile of you? Every now and then one of those huge internet companies got sentenced for misusing privat data.
I would prefer a default setting 'only functional no privat data'.

Do you really don't care that with the information they get they are able to construct a very detailed profile of you? Every now and then one of those huge internet companies got sentenced for misusing privat data.
I would prefer a default setting 'only functional no privat data'.

I care which is why I said I clear the cache out regularly, but when you have no choice thus the title of the thread, what does it matter? I saw on the news the other day there is a campaign against the cookie options going because some of the sites make it so ridiculously difficult to look through all the options it seems like you spend minutes just on that if you care but who's got time for that?

Back