Windows 8 Please tell me how can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot?

Ddd

I plan to soon upgrade my OEM Windows 7 to Windows 8 and then Windows 8.1 I believe my main operating system will then no longer be OEM and be able to be transferred to another pc.

I also own a full version of Windows 7.

Once I upgrade OEM Windows 7 to Windows 8.1, how can I use the full version of Windows 7 to create a dual boot?

Is upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 likely to cause any problems?

According to the test program the only issue is Skyrim won't work any more. And I saw online a Windows 8 driver for my printer.
Additional Details
PS I would want both operating systems to be on their own separate partition

Thanks

RE : I plan to soon upgrade my OEM Windows 7 to Windows 8 and then Windows 8.1 I believe my main operating system will then no longer be OEM and be able to be transferred to another pc.

My answer : Sorry, you are wrong. That OEM Win 7 lives and dies with the hardware. Not transferrable.

RE : I also own a full version of Windows 7.
Once I upgrade OEM Windows 7 to Windows 8.1, how can I use the full version of Windows 7 to create a dual boot?
RE : I would want both operating systems to be on their own separate partition

My answer :
How to Do a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2344-dual-boot-installation-windows-8-windows-7-vista.html

RE : Is upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 likely to cause any problems?
As long as the Upgrade Assistant says you are good to go, you will have no problem whatsoever.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

RE : I plan to soon upgrade my OEM Windows 7 to Windows 8 and then Windows 8.1 I believe my main operating system will then no longer be OEM and be able to be transferred to another pc.

Perhaps I should elaborate and clarify a bit.........
Windows 7 ISO files are readily available to be downloaded. One can use the files to install in as many computers as one wants.
However, the ISO is no good without a valid product key which is needed when installing.
Your Windows 7 product key is a OEM product key. It is NOT transferrable even if the computer is running a different operating system instead of Win 7.

snip...
(1)Is upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 likely to cause any problems?
(2)According to the test program the only issue is Skyrim won't work any more.
(3) I would want both operating systems to be on their own separate partition

(1a) Yes because there are very few drivers that run as well on 8.1 as they do on 7... however most problems can be fixed.
(2a) What test program are you talking about... the one on the microsoft webpage for win8.1 install or some third party job?
(3a) All operating systems (windows and non-windows) need to be on their own separate partition anyway... do you perhaps want them on different hard drives, in which case I'd advise against it.

p.s. How old is the hardware and are we talking about a laptop or desktop computer... make, model, and brand?

To Ddd,
RE : Is upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 likely to cause any problems?

You have mentioned that you will upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8, then to 8.1. That was exactly what I did on 2 of my Win 7 computers.
As long as you have run the Upgrade Assistant and it gives you the green light, you will have no problem.
excerpt................
If you have particular desktop apps or devices you're concerned about, you can check their compatibility in the Windows Compatibility Center, or contact the program or device manufacturer. For more info about fixing compatibility problems, see Get your apps and devices working in Windows 8.1.

*** Source : Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Back