Windows 7 Poor games performance with Win 7 64x, particularly FIFA 10.

The Frederick

Ever since the switch from Vista 64x, games have actually been running worse. Mostly it's just minor slowdown, but FIFA 10 is particularly bad, it's very choppy. I've already disabled a lot of unnecessary services and programs, defrag regularly and have the latest drivers.

Here's my system:
Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz
4GB RAM
GeForce 9800 GTX
14GB ReadyBoost memory

Hi,
do you have the latest drivers?

Plus I'm unsure how a system would run with 14GB of Readyboost especially as you have 4GB already. Readyboost is designed for those running with a gig or less (unless I'm mistaken). Try removing the readyboost and see how you go. Also checkout this article by Toms Hardware:

Do You Really Need More Than 6 GB Of RAM? : Is

Hmm, I'll give it a shot. I've read only good things about ReadyBoost, so I assumed that more is better.

Ok, I removed the ReadyBoost and it doesn't seem any better.

This is odd, because these games worked fine on Vista. Could it have something to do with the changing background? Is there a way to make Windows disable that while I'm playing a game?

Ok, understood. Hmm... Have you tried running the game under compatibility mode for say vista?
Also what about your motherboard Bios? Is it the latest version?

Ok, turns out that I forgot to install the motherboard drivers when I re-installed Windows. >_<

I've installed them, seems to be running better.

I recently found that one of my hard drives is failing. My comp freezes for a few seconds when I access the hard drive, and once, my GPU crashed during this freeze and the OS had to recover it. Is it possible that the HDD is causing my machine's poor performance?

Hi,
yes it's entirely possible.. Let's hope you've finally found the problem.. :)

No luck, unfortunately. Still stuttery with the games, even with a new HDD. Anybody got a good list of W7 tweaks I can use?

Yes I know of a great guide that will help you set your pc up and keep it maintained to perfection! :)
Try this guide for starters: TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion
You'll notice there are guides ranging from XP through to Vista and then Windows 7. You can either buy the 'De-luxe' version or just download the normal version which is absolutely free. (you'll need a pdf reader though. This app is superior the adobe reader: Foxit Software - Foxit Reader 3.0 for Windows )

I cannot not recommend this guide enough and if you follow his advice you'll have a pc running smooth as butter.. :)

Back
Top Bottom