Poor given more incentive to breed, says Tory peer

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Howard-Flight2_1770748c.jpgNew Conservative peer Howard Flight apologised for attacking Government welfare cuts which he suggested would encourage the poor to have more children.

Mr Flight said he wanted to withdraw the comments minutes after Prime Minister David Cameron said he expected him to say sorry and disagreed with his stance.
"I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused and would like to withdraw the remarks," he said in a statement issued by the party.
Link Removed due to 404 Error that taking child benefit away from top-rate taxpayers would mean they were "discouraged from breeding", while benefit claimants would have "every incentive".
Mr Cameron announced only last week that Mr Flight - who was sacked as an MP in 2005 for outspoken comments about spending cuts - would be given a seat in the Lords.

Prime Minister David Cameron had said he expected the newly-appointed Conservative peer Howard Flight to apologise for suggesting that welfare changes will encourage the poor to have more children.
Mr Cameron said today he did not agree with the former Tory vice-chairman, but declined to respond to questions about whether he would now block him from taking his seat in the House of Lords.
At a press conference at 10 Downing Street following talks with Swedish prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt, Mr Cameron was asked whether he would use his power to stop Mr Flight's peerage.
Mr Cameron said: "I don't agree with what he said and I am sure that he will want to apologise for what he has said, and I think we can probably leave it at that."

Prime Minister David Cameron's spokeswoman said earlier: "He is not a member of the Government, he is not a frontbencher, he does not speak for the Government and we do not agree with his comments." ~:>

Peer issues 'unreserved' apology - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

Back