Windows 7 Possible PSU Problem?

hohoXD123

A while ago, my PC started to take a while to turn on, as in I had to turn the power on from the plug and wait a few seconds for the power button to actually work. After a while this 'lag' time took longer and longer and now I sometimes have to wait hours before turning my PC on but sometimes it doesn't turn on at all and I have to leave it for a day or two. When I turn the plug on, I see a blinking green light on the back of my PSU but the fan isn't turning. From the sound of things, am I right in thinking that this is a PSU problem and I can fix it by simply replacing the PSU?

True, it sounds like maybe the PSU is even overheating due to a faulty or broken fan. Even if that isn't exactly what's happening, it has the symptoms because PSUs are designed so that if they're too hot, they will not turn on until they cool. You can easily tell if this is happening by looking at the fan spinning well or not, and by touching the case near the PSU area. If it was so hot that it couldn't turn on, you couldn't leave your hand on it for more than a few seconds without becoming uncomfortable.

If you have to leave the power on for an extended period of time to get it to start booting, then this signifies blown capacitors most likely in the PSU but it could also be the motherboard caps. Inspect the motherboard with a flashlight to see if there is any brown substance leaking from them. If the motherboard looks good with no signs of component failure, then sure, replace the PSU and hope for the best.

Yes, it most likely is a bad power supply from the description you've given.

However; there is something you should know. PC power supplies are not made to have the AC power turned on and off all the time. The startup surge when power is returned is quite substantial and can damage the rectifier diodes on the input side of the supply. If it's possible you should just plug it in and leave the AC power on. The new supply will thank you.

Thanks a lot everyone. I found out that my PSU is a 300W so it's surprising it's lasted as long as it has. I've ordered a 450W one so hopefully that should do a better job.

Yes, it most likely is a bad power supply from the description you've given.

However; there is something you should know. PC power supplies are not made to have the AC power turned on and off all the time. The startup surge when power is returned is quite substantial and can damage the rectifier diodes on the input side of the supply. If it's possible you should just plug it in and leave the AC power on. The new supply will thank you.
Oh, ok, thanks for that. Won't it eat away at my electricity bill if I just leave the AC on for long periods of time? Or will the amount be so small that it won't matter?

Oh, ok, thanks for that. Won't it eat away at my electricity bill if I just leave the AC on for long periods of time? Or will the amount be so small that it won't matter?

There is a very minimal power consumption when the computer is "off", this is just enough to recognize the power button on your case and keep the time of day clock running in your BIOS. Some computers also keep their network connections alive for remote wakeup features.

In total all this will cost you about 30 cents a month on your electric bill... way cheaper than new power supplies.

Back