Print Log Not Showing Print Amounts

locutus6

have purchased a new HP printer, and I use the event logs to track how many pages we have printed, however that's the problem.

If a user prints 99 pages of the same document, the printer will print 99 pages, but the print log will show only 1 copy printed, which is a bit useless for us. It's essential for us to track the correct amount of pages, rather than just having to count them.

I've contacted HP, and they indicated that it's actually a Windows issue. I'm using Server 2008 R2.

Thank you.

Well for starters I would point out two things. 1) Server 2008 R2 is EOL and also 2008R2 print server logging is dismal at best. Going to a newer server version will have better logging around printing.

Also depending on the printer model (hopefully it's a business model printer) you can track this type of information on the printer itself.

Unfortunately, the printer doesn't record the quantity of prints. If a person tells the printer to print to 99 pages of a 1 page document, the printer will not count 99 pages, only 1.

Server 2008 only received EOL a week or two ago. If I had reported this problem a day or two before EOL, then I doubt anyone would be saying WS2008 is EOL....

Thank you.

No I would have said it's EOL soon and you should still upgrade.

Regardless you will need something beyond what Windows 2008 provides such as WebJetAdmin, HP AC or HP SmartTracker

Back