Windows 10 Problems with latest automatic update

jimdouglas

There is a problem with the latest Windows 10 automatic update. After it installed my internet did not work. The windows troubleshooting program identified "windows socket registry entries required for net connectivity are missing" but was unable to correct the problem. It is a fairly new computer, and when going to system restore discovered that restore and the recovery drive were off since I bought the computer so there were no restore points. Although windows was not able to correct the problem, my AVG program diagnosed the same connectivity issue and repaired the problem. At this point I am turning off automatic updates till there is more effort to test the new releases before putting them out.

I have the same problem with two machines, an HP and a Dell. I'm going to play with it for a few days before I get my image backup out from last week for each machine.

One interesting thing - both machines lost the function of the speakers icon in the notification section so changing speaker volume is much more difficult at the moment.

My old Win7 machine keeps running like a champ except that it keeps bugging me to upgrade to Win10.

I think it must be related to possible personal customisation/fixes that you have applied.
Since the update, I have had contact with five family members and several colleagues, who I help with their machines. None so far have reported any problems.
fwiw. My roundup includes three Dell machines.
The only suggestion I could make, is to go back to a point before any alterations were made and restore or reinstall, and start over.

I can reset the Windows Update, but I don't know if attempting to reinstall this update will restore the missing functions (such as the speaker volume). This is what I found in my research:

Open an administrator command window and type the following:
dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\c4a1b8896ce9fbfea96c1ee6890d52a5\windows10.0-kb3122947-x64.cab

This reset the Windows Update to no longer say it failed, try again. I'm going to bed now. I'll see what it does tomorrow. If it fails, that's why I do the image backups.

Davehc: thanks for the help attempt but your answer is not really helpful in general as "possible personal customization fixes" is way too vague and basically amounts to "it must be your fault". Upgrades have to just work. Also, the fact that it works on your machines is irrelevant - the point is that bugs impact some minority of users; that kind of response drives people nuts. In any case, I just reproduced this on 2 Win 10 Pro machines on my network; it completely horked the network stack, causing weird, inconsistent behavior in name resolution, such as pingable but no UNC resolution, computers bouncing in and out of Network view, etc. I'll post back when I find a fix.

My problem is a general slowing down of everything since the last update last week which began with the screen 'We have some exciting improvements for you' or words to that effect. No option not to allow the "update". Since then I have experienced lock-up necessitting rebooting the computer, continuous 'Word not responding or Gmail not responding. Befre this "improvement" things were running well, although the 'not responding' issue was becoming a problem.
I really would prefer to manually allow updates when I am ready to do them rather than when I am in the middle of a task and everything freezes.
Suggestions please.

Back