Quad Core Detection Issue

Hi, I'm new here.

I recently installed the beta on a dual boot machine (winXP is the other OS) and it it is working smoothly enough for me aside from the odd software compatibility issue. I do have one hardware issue: both task manager and CPU-z detect my quad core Q9300 as a single core when running Win7. As there is little literature out there on CPU multicore detection issues related to win7, I was hoping some answers might be found on this forum.

Here's the rig:

CPU Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 1333 MHz FSB LGA 775 OC'd to 3.01GHz/1601Mhz FSB
MOBO: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe X38 chipset
RAM: DDR3 2 GB @ 1601MHz
VID: ATI HD 3870

Now I did wait a while before installing the beta, but I thought I was within the timeframe for installation. Could this be the "limited operation" MS warned about if the beta was installed after the deadline? If so, can I remedy this limitation?

TIA

UPDATE

I may have found the answer on the TechNet forums. Here is the link:

Multi-Core detection issue

For those too lazy to click the link:

Run 'msconfig' with admin rights. Click on the 'Boot' tab. Click on the 'Advanced Options\" tab. Make sure \"Number of processors\" is unchecked (counter-intuitive, I know) and make sure a check mark is by \"Detect HAL\". I suspect the single CPU/core ACPI HAL is loaded when the multiCPU/core HAL should be loaded. If that doesn't make a difference after reboot, try forcing the number by specifying the number processors in the same area. I try to use that as a last resort because sometimes it can more harm than good.
I haven't tried this yet, but I will tonight when I get home.

UPDATE 2 - SUCCESS!

I tried this at home last night and it worked. For me, all I had to do was check the "Detect HAL" box. I couldn't manually enter the number of processors. I would venture to guess that happens because I only have 1 processor - it just happens to be a quad core. I went from having a single processor detected in CPU-z and Task Manager along with sluggish performance to having all the cores appear and much better performance.

For example: when using Firefox on a flash heavy site along with Automatic Updates and OpenOffice, my CPU usage was hitting 90-100%. Now, it barely hits 20%. Sites like Ebaums, with its mess of flash ads that normally choke my system, was running all the flash at real-time speeds. A very noticeable improvement.

Last edited:
Good that you got it working. I found out how to do that on my own buy doodling around with it for a while. I think that this problem only occurs with Intel processors (sometimes).. because my dad bought a new laptop that has vista on it with an Intel Dual core. I had to turn on the other processor because it wasn't on... I don't hate Intel or anything...they're just too expensive for me...

but my AMD quad core works just fine with windows 7....

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.