Windows Vista Questioning the reason for UAC

net_travler

On another forum someone posted a method for disabling the UAC warning during instillation of the software or after running it for the 1st time. But I'm confused on the whole UAC thing.

Someone please help me understand better

With UAC on I will get a warning the 1st time I go into a program or I can choose to never get that warning using the method posted there correct ?

With the number of programs we all have and that are still out there, that are not Vista certified Heres my question.

I install a program on my system because I'm obviously trying to use the software.

Not knowing how the program will react with vista, the 1st time I will choose to ignore the warning.

So if running this software is going to give me a BSOD or some other bad result am I not going to get it this 1st time I run it ?

If not the 1st time and it's a cumulative problem I can not obviously see won't I disable the UAC warning using the method here thinking there is no reason for it ?

If I can see it doing harm to my system won't un-install have the same results ?

UAC is not a protection from harm just a warning.

Any damage done to my system has already been done the 1st time I tried the software or after disabling UAC (using this method) because I think the program is safe.

So the only thing I can see UAC doing is telling me that a program is not Vista certified, which is something I would already know.

This is where I'm lost on the function and need of UAC.

This is why I disabled UAC.

Please set me straight if I missed something here - I'm the 1st to admit I am wrong when my errors are pointed out to me.

Please do not think I'm questioning anything but my line of reasoning here.

Net Link Removed due to 404 Error

First thing I do after a fresh install of Vista is disable the UAC.... What a huge pain in the Arse that thing is!... Ok it can be configured to not be so intrusive but even so, I'm the administrator and I certainly know what I'm doing.
In more of an answer to your question... It's supposed to pop up any time a administrative order is given or some strange software is used without a MS licence(which I might add, costs a great deal of money). Which is great if your on a network but not so much if it's just little old you at home trying to change your folder details.
Much has been written about this often hated utility and if you scour Google you'll find reams of information on it. Many say it's best to use it, personally I think it's up to the user in question..If you feel you can be incontrol of your own destiny then get rid it... But if however your thinking that some maligned peice of software is going to ambush you or your incapable of making a sensible decision keep it enabled..:cool:

You do realise this is could spark a huge debate..

First thing I do after a fresh install of Vista is disable the UAC.... What a huge pain in the Arse that thing is!... Ok it can be configured to not be so intrusive but even so, I'm the administrator and I certainly know what I'm doing. .

Same here...I can't stand seeing "Windows Needs Your Permission to Continue" everytime I try to do something simple...can't even create a Start Menu folder without that annoying nag popping up!

UAC is designed to protect your computer from security threats, which is what Windows XP was criticized for before Service Pack 2. It is an additional layer of security to protect you. Just pressing OK after you run a program is a lot better than having a malicious program destroy the entire OS.

Windows is used for many different reasons and in many different environments. Some people use it for things that are very critical. What if you lost years of work?

So this is a workaround for people who don't have a server, don't know how or don't want to spend time configuring local and group policies on their PC.

Back