Windows 10 recovery partition full after windows 10 upgrade

Dave Fandrey

Hello,,
My uncle asked me to help him with his HP Pavilion laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 (presuming he had Windows 7 before but don't really know).

Although Windows 10 is working just fine and he has 80 -90% of his hard drive space still free, he is now getting disk space full messages (presumably related to the recovery partition, which must have been loaded during the upgrade process).The laptop works fine but these constant disk space messages are annoying.

I do not understand what to do to fix this. If I delete files in the recovery partition I suspect he will no longer be able to use this partition for the recovery process it was made for. Do I need to expand the partition (an do I need to purchase something to do that?)? What is the best way to handle this (instructions for dummies needed)?

Many Thanks!

You can create a bootable recovery media from any Windows box, so this partition isn't really needed if you want to delete it. You can actually mount and clean it up but it's not a super easy process.

Hello,,
My uncle asked me to help him with his HP Pavilion laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 (presuming he had Windows 7 before but don't really know).

Although Windows 10 is working just fine and he has 80 -90% of his hard drive space still free, he is now getting disk space full messages (presumably related to the recovery partition, which must have been loaded during the upgrade process).The laptop works fine but these constant disk space messages are annoying.

I do not understand what to do to fix this. If I delete files in the recovery partition I suspect he will no longer be able to use this partition for the recovery process it was made for. Do I need to expand the partition (an do I need to purchase something to do that?)? What is the best way to handle this (instructions for dummies needed)?

Many Thanks!

Hi,
there is a reasonably quick way to increase the partition size. Follow the screenshots on how to expand the system restore area:

Right click on the start icon and choose 'system':
1.jpg

Click on the setting arrowed (please excuse my paranoia):
2.jpg

The box on the left will appear first and you need to click configure and you see the next box appear. You will notice it has a sliding scale on how big or small you want the partition
3.jpg

Try increasing the size a little?

Back