Windows 7 Scanning - How to define a custom page size? >>>

pwiklund

Honorable Member
After some searching I located where to create a custom Paper size in the printer setup.

However, when I proceed to scan (via the document feeder, not the flatbed), I still cannot get the newly defined custom Paper Size to appear in the pre-defined list of page-sizes that are available - and that is regardless of which program I'm using - the 'aquire image' from Microsoft Photo Premium, the import via Micrsoft Live, or the 'start scanning' in the printer setup.

Any idea how to accomplish this last step?

Thank you in advance,
Per

If I was only to scan one or two pages, yes.. although here we are potentiall talking 1000s of pages of a relatively large format (275 x 360 mm), so I would prefer to avoid scanning too large selection if at all possible - and unless the sizes are hard-coded it must be possible to set-up the new format to be visable in the scan-setup as well - but how??

ah yea, for huge batches that would add lot of time let alone file size issues... Umm so are you using scanning software to scan or a built in menu on the device?

Last edited:
ah yea, for huge batches that would add lot of time let alone file size issues... Umm so are you using scanning software to scan or a built in menu on the device?

Definitely not a menu on the device - nor any specific scanner-software. I used the most basic of all ways, I presume:

1. 'Devices and Printers' > (highlight device) > 'Start scan' > (select source=feeder from the drop down menu).
2. The 'Paper Size' menu then becomes available, and displays a lot of (unnecessay for me) formats, but the one I defined in 'Devices and Printers' > (highlight device) > 'Print server properties' does still not appear.

I tried the same way using a couple of other applications with image import facilites, such as Microsoft Live, Paint.net, etc. still no result.

There is one 'hint' (being an old mainframe-programmer, I interpret it that way) - it appears that all paper formats that included with the pull down menu are 'locked' in the sense that I cannot change the Paper Size for those formats in the 'Print server properties' menu - all others are availble to manipulate. Hmm.. in my world that indicates that there could be some other way to 'tie' the formats to the scanner paper-size menu - but how?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Per

Last edited:
So whats the actual device doing the scanning? make model etc as there maybe be a dedicated software that configures custom sizes for it, for example I use Hamrick Vuescan which is fantastic and has everything in one app.

I think by far the best solution would be to follow this link and use the "LIVE ONLINE HELP" button to get exact information on the solution then.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Scanning in Windows 7 is handled by the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) components. According to Microsoft's documentation: "Both the Common Scanner Dialog and the Scanner and Camera Wizard have a static table of supported page sizes"

So no, it doesn't seem like you can add a custom page size. :(

I ran across this limitation when trying to scan a US Legal (8.5 in x 14 in) document and found that even though my scanner (Brother MFC 9700) would support this size when using the feeder, there was no such paper size in the scanner dialog box!

Back