Windows 7 Search facility woes.

buckshot

Having changed from XP I find the "Search" facility in Win 7 to be unsatisfactory for my purposes. Whilst it will locate files that have been indexed I am unable to locate system files and others. eg. .exe and .dll. I have just had need to locate a .dll file and the search facility would not do so. The best I could achieve was to request a search for all .dll files and then wade through the list and locations. It is not really practical to index my entire computer so how do I go about finding files that may be anywhere eg. system files etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Buckshot:)

Even when "hide extensions for known filetypes" is checked, AND your system files are set to be hidden, and you put in ".dll" in the search field, it SHOULD find all the dll's on the drive or folder you are searching for. I just tried it and it works for me. Explain what happens when you do a search.

p.s. If you have a relatively fast machine, you shouldn't have to use indexing. I turned it off for all my drives.

Even when "hide extensions for known filetypes" is checked, AND your system files are set to be hidden, and you put in ".dll" in the search field, it SHOULD find all the dll's on the drive or folder you are searching for. I just tried it and it works for me. Explain what happens when you do a search.

p.s. If you have a relatively fast machine, you shouldn't have to use indexing. I turned it off for all my drives.

Thanks
I have it fixed and taken your advice and turned off indexing. It is still really fast

Back
Top Bottom