Excelsius

I have already setup a network between Windows 7 x64 Ultimate machines. However, I am adding more computers to the network and would like to select as to which computers can see a particular folder. The problem is that when I am trying to set the permissions and go to "Locations," the only computer listed is mine, even though the "Network" folder clearly lists three other computers. How can I get these computers to also appear in "Locations" so I can choose which ones to share my files with? Ideally I am trying to create a new user group that will consist of preselected computers.

My only other option is to share the folder with every authenticated user on the network, which is not something I want to do. I'd like user X to get access while user Y be denied.

Thanks for any input.

Solution
To address the issue of not being able to see all the computers on your network when setting folder permissions in Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, you can try a few troubleshooting steps to ensure proper network visibility and access control: 1. Network Discovery and Sharing Settings: - Ensure that network discovery is enabled on all computers. You can check this by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings. - Make sure that file and printer sharing, as well as public folder sharing, are turned on. - Verify that all computers are part of the same workgroup. 2. Check Network Connectivity: - Ensure that all computers are connected to the same network and can communicate with each other. You...
To address the issue of not being able to see all the computers on your network when setting folder permissions in Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, you can try a few troubleshooting steps to ensure proper network visibility and access control: 1. Network Discovery and Sharing Settings: - Ensure that network discovery is enabled on all computers. You can check this by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings. - Make sure that file and printer sharing, as well as public folder sharing, are turned on. - Verify that all computers are part of the same workgroup. 2. Check Network Connectivity: - Ensure that all computers are connected to the same network and can communicate with each other. You can try pinging the other computers to check connectivity. 3. Check Network Profile: - Confirm that the network profile for your network connection is set to "Home" or "Work." The "Public" network profile restricts visibility. 4. Ensure Proper User Accounts: - Make sure that the user accounts you are using have appropriate permissions on each computer. You may need to create matching user accounts on different computers. 5. Resolving Visibility Issues: - If the computers are not showing up in the "Locations" dialog when setting permissions, you can try accessing them directly by typing their network path (e.g., \\ComputerName) in the address bar. - You can also try mapping network drives to ensure accessibility to the shared folders. 6. Creating Special User Groups: - To create a user group with specific computer access, you can consider setting up a HomeGroup (if applicable) or creating new user accounts with matching credentials on each computer. - After creating the necessary user accounts, you can manage permissions by specifying which users have access to specific folders. 7. Setting Folder Permissions: - When setting folder permissions, you can customize access control by specifying individual user accounts or groups. Make sure to set permissions accordingly (e.g., read-only, read/write, etc.). By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot the visibility issues and set up the desired permissions for sharing folders among specific computers on your network. If you encounter any specific challenges during this process, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Solution
Back