Serial in Windows 10

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
Hello,

Does anyone know how to get a serial port working in Windows 10. My programme apparently needs MSCOMM32.OCX for it to function.
I have downloaded the .ocx file and put it in c:\windows\system32, but I cannot register it. Something about compatibility (?)

I have an apparently functioning COM3 serial port via a Sabrent USB/serial adaptor. Worked on Windows 7 ...

Regards

Cheemag

I would use a usb to serial adapter. You may need to look up the chipset in it though some of the older ones do not work in Windows 10. Cables to go has some that work for sure (that's what I use)

Hello,

Thanks for your input.

Device manager shows me as having a working serial port 'USB Serial Port COM3' in addition to a 'Communications Port COM1'
It shows the manufacturer as 'FTDI'.

I don't think the COM port is the problem, it's more likely missing .DLLs/DLLs which won't register in Windows 10.

Regards

Cheemag

If you see the COM port and there is no red X or yellow ! then it should be good. Pick a program like putty and it should work

It is a programme which tunes a radio receiver, so I wouldn't have known if the port was working with Putty.

The problem wasn't with the COM port but with the MSCOMM32.OCX file and other dependency DLLs.

As it happens, I found a more recent version of the programme and ran it. It failed as well, but I thought I'd give the old version one more
go before giving up, so I copied the .EXE for the old programme into the directory with the later install and it worked! The new install
somehow fixed the OCX.DLL problems.

Thanks to all who responded. SOLVED.

Cheemag

Back