Windows 7 Serial mouse problem

RobMinor

Hi there-- is this possibly a W7 problem, or more likely a hardware problem?

I use a wired serial mouse, and every so often when I reboot it doesn't start up at all -- no nice red light out the bottom or anything. I'll power down, unplug and replug, power back up, and it's fine.

Is this a problem anyone else has noticed with 7, or is it more likely a problem with the serial port? Or even the mouse?

We would need to know all tyhe specs and hardware on your computer.

I don't want to just guess.:)

specs

Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800 2.01 G
1 G ram
NVidia 8800 GTS with Physx accl.
NVidia Nforce 550 Motherboard.

12 in 1 card reader, 4 USB ports, 1 mouse serial port, onboard sound [Yamaha] , 1 250 G hard drive, 1 150 G external drive.

Sorry I was trying to keep it simple :rolleyes: , as I say, if this is something that's a known issue. If not, I assume the port is getting a loose connection or something and just be sure to buy a USB mouse next time.

Are you talking about the very old type serial port or it it a PS/2.

What port is your keyboard plugged into?

Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800 2.01 G
1 G ram
NVidia 8800 GTS with Physx accl.
NVidia Nforce 550 Motherboard.

12 in 1 card reader, 4 USB ports, 1 mouse serial port, onboard sound [Yamaha] , 1 250 G hard drive, 1 150 G external drive.

Sorry I was trying to keep it simple :rolleyes: , as I say, if this is something that's a known issue. If not, I assume the port is getting a loose connection or something and just be sure to buy a USB mouse next time.

Since serial mice are becoming an extinct species except for some rare highend (really expensive = almost equal to the price of a cheap desktop PC!) serial mice after PS/2 mice became the standard and later with lot of MoBO coming with USB port enabling in the BIOS the USB mice and these days the convenient wireless mice using USB or Firewire ports, I was hoping to see the make and model of your Serial mouse:). The last time I had to do anything with a serial mouse was to use a PS/2 adapter to get it to work in a MoBo or in fixing a mouse in AT boards . ATX MoBo brought PS/2 connectors with less and less of Serial Mice which often had a lot of IRQ conflicts and mouse freeze.

mouse

Sorry, just a generic Micro. Yes, PS/2 port, plain optical not laser. Prob. came with a keyboard for ten bucks at walmart.

Sorry, just a generic Micro. Yes, PS/2 port, plain optical not laser. Prob. came with a keyboard for ten bucks at walmart.

It could be your mouse is on its last legs mice do grow old with time . Not a windows 7 issue more a hardware ie: mouse problem ;)

Back