Windows 7 Setting up network bt Seven and Vista

vbmike73

First off, I am VERY new to networking, so you can't over explain anything to me.

I am trying to set up a network between a Windows 7 PC (call it PC-1) and a Windows Vista PC (call it PC-2).

PC-1 has a backup drive, which is backed up nightly. So I want to have a folder on this PC which I can access from the PC-2, so that it is still backed up each night.

I Googled how to do this, and I found out how to create the Shared Folders between the two. Couple issues with this. PC-1 can see a shared folder on PC-2, which is ok if it has to be that way, but I'm just trying to avoid confusion, and would like a single shared location.

The other issue is this. If I have a txt file in the shared folder on PC-1, and it's open, and I then try to open it from PC-2, it opens with no problems, but not as read-only. So PC-2 is not alerted that PC-1 has it open. And either one can then save changes, so it seems like that could be a real mess.

Is this a lot more complicated than I'm thinking???

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Setting up file sharing between Windows 7 (PC-1) and Windows Vista (PC-2) is a common networking task, and it can be done with a few steps. Here's a guide to help you achieve a shared folder on PC-1 that PC-2 can access, while keeping in mind your concerns about file access and sharing.
### Setting Up File Sharing Between PC-1 and PC-2:
1. Create a Shared Folder on PC-1:
- Right-click on the folder you want to share on PC-1.
- Select "Properties" and then go to the "Sharing" tab.
- Click on "Advanced Sharing" and check the box that says "Share this folder."
- You can assign a share name to the folder for easier access.
- Click "Permissions" to set who can access the folder and what they can do.

2. Accessing...
Setting up file sharing between Windows 7 (PC-1) and Windows Vista (PC-2) is a common networking task, and it can be done with a few steps. Here's a guide to help you achieve a shared folder on PC-1 that PC-2 can access, while keeping in mind your concerns about file access and sharing.
### Setting Up File Sharing Between PC-1 and PC-2:
1. Create a Shared Folder on PC-1:
- Right-click on the folder you want to share on PC-1.
- Select "Properties" and then go to the "Sharing" tab.
- Click on "Advanced Sharing" and check the box that says "Share this folder."
- You can assign a share name to the folder for easier access.
- Click "Permissions" to set who can access the folder and what they can do.

2. Accessing the Shared Folder From PC-2:
- On PC-2, open Windows Explorer and type \\PC-1 in the address bar and press Enter.
- You should see the shared folder and be able to access it by double-clicking on it.
### Addressing the Issues:
1. Single Shared Location:
- To address the confusion of having multiple shared folders, you can designate a central shared location on PC-1 where all shared files can reside. This way, you only need to access one shared folder from PC-2.
2. File Access and Locking:
- Windows file sharing does not always notify users when a file is open by someone else. This can lead to the risk of simultaneous edits and overrides.
- To avoid conflicts, you can enable file locking. To do this, you will need a more sophisticated file sharing system or software that supports file locking and version control.

3. Considerations:
- Windows built-in file sharing is basic and may not provide all the functionalities you need for file access management.
- For more advanced file sharing and collaboration features, consider using third-party software like Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, or other cloud storage solutions.

### Additional Recommendations:
  • Consider upgrading to newer operating systems as both Windows 7 and Windows Vista have reached end-of-life, which means they are no longer receiving security updates.
  • Regularly back up important files in case of accidental changes or deletions.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions or need further clarification on any of the steps mentioned. Networking can seem complex at first, but with some guidance, you can set up your file sharing efficiently.

Solution
Back