Windows 7 Sidebar removed, new "Aero-based" themes

Josh the Nerd

I'm hoping to have more information very soon, but I'm getting reports of some interesting changes in recent builds of Windows 7, including such things as the removal of Windows Sidebar and new Aero-based UI themes. I'll write something up as soon as I can verify it, but it looks like we're on the cusp of another explosion of Windows 7 info.

Source: Paul Thurrott (http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/99645/wininfo-short-takes-week-of-july-7-2008.html)

I'm guessing the gadgets are still there but are just losing their bar, judging from what we already know about gadgets in Windows 7.

Also, I'm guessing that "Aero-based" means DWM-based.

It probably also means "glass" based.
I expected this.
But the removal of the sidebar? That's a treat :)
I hate that thing, it's a major resource hog.

I also use the sidebar for RSS, uptime, and weather, and I find it nice.

So, sounds to me like Windows 7 M2 is out, but not really leaked yet.

I don't think the Sidebar is something bad about Windows Vista, but there will be third-party products to replace it.

I think it would be interesting to see the "Aero-based" themes. What exactly does this mean?

Sidebar be gone. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad they got rid of that embarrassing black line .

Sidebar be gone. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad they got rid of that embarrassing black line .

I couldn't agree more!!! That fu$%king thing was the biggest piece of sh!t they could have possibly put on the desktop of an OS or even included with an OS.. it was just... terrible. I really don't even like the gadgets for that matter.. I never used any of them and they just added to the overall resource hogging that the sidebar does. Good move Microsoft to ditch it!! :)

Back