Windows 7 Smaller footprint upgrading over Vista or must I clean install?

Michele

One of the main reason to go to Windows 7 is for the smaller footprint. But the idea of having to find and reinstall all my programs is a nightmare. I like the idea of upgrading (from Vista home premium on 64 bit), but I can't find any information on upgrading in terms of footprint. If I simply upgrade, is Vista still there in the background, lurking and taking up space? Thanks!

One of the main reason to go to Windows 7 is for the smaller footprint. But the idea of having to find and reinstall all my programs is a nightmare. I like the idea of upgrading (from Vista home premium on 64 bit), but I can't find any information on upgrading in terms of footprint. If I simply upgrade, is Vista still there in the background, lurking and taking up space? Thanks!
If you read some of the posts in the forum you will see that upgrading vista to win7 is not guaranteed and leaves some problems after upgrading. I suggest creating some room on your HD and doing a clean install of Win7. That way you can dual boot and bring things over from Vista at your leisure.

I upgraded 2 computers from Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit doing the in place upgrade. Both upgrades went smoothly. Both computers have around 4 GB more disc space available after the upgrade. Only a couple of minor issues that were easy to deal with (a couple of programs had to be uninstalled and re-installed). The computers start faster, shut down faster, resume from hibernate faster, and are overall just better. Both computers are Dells, one 3 years old and the other 4 years old. They both just work. The whole process took about 3 hours per computer - about 1.5 hours to do the upgrade and then another 1.5 or so to finish tweaking.

Back