Windows 7 So Much for an RC Upgrade

busydog

M$ has laid down the rules..... upgrading from an activated RC to RTM will not carry your programs and settings over.

Microsoft confirms Windows 7 RC upgrade rules

by Link Removed due to 404 Error, posted Jul 14th 2009 at 11:23AM
Link Removed due to 404 Error
As October 22nd hastily approaches, Microsoft is slowly but surely dropping all sorts of knowledge on to-be Windows 7 buyers. The latest tidbit about the forthcoming OS revolves around upgrades, with a company spokesperson reportedly confirming that users running an activated version of Windows 7 Release Candidate will not have to "reinstall an older version of Windows before using a Windows 7 upgrade disk." Unfortunately, those who choose this path will see all of their files and such ushered into a folder labeled "Windows.old" when the final version of Win7 is installed, essentially putting a damper on what would've been an otherwise awesome experience. Interestingly, the fun doesn't stop there; if you ever need to reinstall the final version of Win7 from scratch using the upgrade copy you purchased, you'll first need to install (and activate) a copy of XP or Vista, which is different that Vista's somewhat more lax upgrade policies. Check out the read link for the full spiel, and make sure you wrap your noodle around it good before you go off pre-ordering the wrong box.

No Update DVD for me. Update DVD would require me to use my XP disk to validate a clean install since I don't have Vista.
This would invalidate my XP CD license. I want to continue using XP in a multiboot arrangement on this machine.
I want the full install DVD and will be looking for the OEM version of Win 7 Home Premium (less cost).
I don't care about the OEM limitations as I will only be using on this one machine (my only computer).

I'm planning on a clean install and have all my program installers saved on an external drive along with a plan of action with checklist and screenshots.
The only drivers I'll need will be installed at first boot from Windows update except my PCIMCIA/SD cardreader drivers, I have the latest drivers saved for that as well. I don't think the transition will be very painful. It wasn't from the beta to the RC.
Planning makes all the difference.

No Update DVD for me. Update DVD would require me to use my XP disk to validate a clean install since I don't have Vista.
This would invalidate my XP CD license. I want to continue using XP in a multiboot arrangement on this machine.
I want the full install DVD and will be looking for the OEM version of Win 7 Home Premium (less cost).
I don't care about the OEM limitations as I will only be using on this one machine (my only computer).

I'm planning on a clean install and have all my program installers saved on an external drive along with a plan of action with checklist and screenshots.
The only drivers I'll need will be installed at first boot from Windows update except my PCIMCIA/SD cardreader drivers, I have the latest drivers saved for that as well. I don't think the transition will be very painful. It wasn't from the beta to the RC.
Planning makes all the difference.

It wouldn't require you to use your XP Disk if you use the "Clean install with Upgrade Media" trick.. ;)

It wouldn't require you to use your XP Disk if you use the "Clean install with Upgrade Media" trick.. ;)
That assumes that trick will still be aailable with win 7. Nah, I'll just buy an OEM full install DVD and be done with it.
I'm hoping the OEM will be a significant saving over retail like the XP OEM is.

Haven't seen any pricing info about OEM yet.

Well Microsoft hasn't stated in any way that it won't be available for Windows 7... ;) So it's looking like it will be.. To each his own though.. ;) I've no doubt they'll do away with it for Windows 8...

Back
Top Bottom