Windows 7 Software installations take a long time

vincarrillo

Not every program, but the majority take almost forever to install. On average I watch the install process take 30 minutes to install a program. I have another computer with Win XP Pro and the same programs install in less than 1 minute!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Phenom 955 3.21 GHZ
6GB RAM
WD RAPTOR 10K RPM

Anybody having this problem?

Sounds like some program is sucking up your memory.

Open task Manager and cluck the Memory column to show which programs are using the most memory. Expand the windows so we can see the complete path.

Trying going to Start > Run, and type msconfig. Uncheck all entries except for your anti-virus scanner.

Try shutting down and re-starting, so there are not as many precesses running.

Sounds like some program is sucking up your memory.

Open task Manager and cluck the Memory column to show which programs are using the most memory. Expand the windows so we can see the complete path.

Trying going to Start > Run, and type msconfig. Uncheck all entries except for your anti-virus scanner.

Try shutting down and re-starting, so there are not as many precesses running.

Nope, that's not the case with me. My computer has just gotten reformatted and installed windows 7 on it. I opened up the task manager and clicked processes and its all empty. No more than 20 processes running and none taking enough memory to cause such effect. It's been happening ever since I installed windows 7 though, XP worked like a breeze. Think its a win7 glitch or something?

Have you installed all the motherboard drivers?
Is your hard drive working okay? A bad HDD (for eg running in PIO instead of UDMA mode) may cause long install times.

Back