Windows 7 Speed up Windows 7 'Windows Update'

Looks good, neem! I'll have to give it a try on 1 of my W7 test machines. Still have lots of customers on W7/W8.1. Thanks for posting!:up:

BBJ

Microsoft have stopped all updates for windows 7 and 8.1 apart from security.

To obtain all the updates released since SP1 one simply has to visit the Microsoft update catalogue ( you can now use other browsers not just IE) and search for a cumulative update package:
KB3125574

FFS.JPG

More information can be found in the following thread:
Microsoft update changes for Windows 7 and 8.1

Microsoft have stopped all updates for windows 7 and 8.1 apart from security.

To obtain all the updates released since SP1 one simply has to visit the Microsoft update catalogue ( you can now use other browsers not just IE) and search for a cumulative update package:
KB3125574

View attachment 33947

More information can be found in the following thread:
Microsoft update changes for Windows 7 and 8.1

Thanks a million @kemical . I think we could perhaps create a catalogue of the various updates, which I've saved on my system for future use. There's no way to say what Microsoft will do in the future but we might be better served to create a repository, on some free website to host updates and driver files. I'd probably think in a few years Windows 7 resources will be down to nothing or nearly nothing as Microsoft attempts to force everyone to Windows 10.

-Rag

Agreed, if it's an extremely important update then hopefully a post/thread will be made by one of our members to spread the word as it were..

Update on my W7 customer laptop update. I didn't get around to testing my W7 update issue with the roll-up updates posted by kemical on the Microsoft Update Catalog on my test drive/machine with W7 yet. Got tied up with personal issues and home maintenance stuff (painting)--you all know how that goes.
But, I did want to mention that I attempted all the usual W7 fixes, chkdsk, sfc, dism, Microsoft Fixit tools (all of them) and couldn't get the W7 updates to go in on that laptop. I was going to rebuild it from scratch after a drive wipe, but it's all done and I'm just going to give it back to my Customer and let her know that WU is broken, so there's no way to lock it down from the OS side and her best bet is to pay me to upgrade it to W10 or just have her buy a W10 laptop brand new. Then I can guarantee she won't get hit by WannaCry or one of the new ransomware variants. More or less anyway. I may have some time to investigate this further, but like I said in previous posts above, I suspect W7 systems will be completely UN-upgradeable within the next year or so as the 2019 EOL approaches. I'm still trying to get a good date from my IT buddy who has a MSDN subscription, but it seems like it could be Jan-Aug. 2019.

I've done half a dozen W8.1 updates, using the roll-ups from the MUC (Microsoft Update Catalog) since Jan. of this year (2017), and those seem fine, even if you are on W8--though heaven help you if you have a Samsung or other laptop where they chose to ignore hardware driver support for W8.1 and you are trying to go from W8->W8.1->W10 without having to buy a W10 license. 8.1->10 seems to go in quite nicely with the MUC rollups, on most brands I've tried (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba), but not all will work. I thought I'd mention this as several other folks here do W7 upgrades to W10 as well as W8; and as we've all seen many of the latest spyware viruses and rootkit viruses just love to attack the WU (Windows Update) module with W7 or W8x, so you are spending hours if not days trying to remove the darn viruses, but even if you do, I've found that they kill the WU upon removal, so you are stuck doing a windows reset or reinstallation from factory media via disc/usb/partition after drive wiping to fix that problem. This isn't true of everyone; one guy I know refuses to spend more than 2 hrs. billable time trying to fix WU on any modern windows machine (W7/8x/10).

But, it's worth a mention here for other upgraders, that I completely concur with what's being said on MS making it more and more difficult to resuscitate W7 (and older) versions of windows. If you can't get WU working, you are probably going to have to sell your Customer a PAID AV license, whichever flavor you use (as WD [Windows Defender] has not been able to stop the newest Ransomware even with full security updates installed and WU working). The issue there of course, as it's always been, IMO, that if you cannot get WU working and get the latest security patches from Microsoft you cannot expect your AV program to plug all the security holes in the OS. That's not really their job anyway. Though some of the high-end products attempt to compensate for the human element, which is that lots of W10 users resent the constant updating of their windows and then turn off WU or WUDO or both; and then rail against Microsoft when their PC is crashed by a new update or rollup that has security patches for the latest holes uncovered and repaired. They expect the AV makers to anticipate that they do this and get upset when their PCs get infected by viruses despite paying $80/yr. for high-end AV protection. Many of us are attempting to educate folks in the public about this, but it's not easy!

Hopefully, you other Techs who have to deal with this will appreciate what we're saying. Upgrades or repairs to W7 can be done, but they take a lot more time now, and you still can't guarantee how well they will work going forward especially with MS going to quarterly rollups on their MUC site. :headache:

Cheers!:D
<<<BBJ>>>

Hi Neem,
Thanks for posting this.:teeth: I haven't seen this site/product yet. I'll certainly give it a try on my next W7 repair. It would sure be nice if it worked.

BBJ

Back
Top Bottom