Strange phone connecting to my home network

flobadob

Hello. When I click on my network, in windows explorer, I noticed a phone on my network. It's a HWFURY UMAX apparently. I don't own one of these. Pressing F5 repeatedly shows that the connection of this phone on my home network is intermittent. It seems to disconnect / re-connect every few seconds. I got the MAC address of the phone by right clicking on it. There are no logs of this MAC address being connected through my wifi router. Any ideas what could be going on here? I've attached some screen grabs. Thanks.

Attachments

• Phone MAC address.PNG
    Phone MAC address.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 446
  • Phone on network.PNG
    Phone on network.PNG
    23.1 KB · Views: 487
I would suggest changing your wireless password and disable wps if it isn't and also upnp if you don't use it

ok I've disabled WPS although I guess that only helps to prevent new probems rather than fixing the one I've got. Looking at the router wifi logs, there were only two devices connected: my windows phone and my samsung galaxy 3 android tablet. When I switched off the tablet, the weird phone thing on the network stopped appearing / dissappearing. Switching the tablet back on and it's still not appeared again.

Does it sound plausible that my tablet was hacked / was the source of the rogue phone on my network? If so, how can I secure my tabby in the future? I'll reset it obviously but what then?

Unless you're installing software outside of the play store your tablet is probably fine. Mac addresses can be spoofed pretty easily.

Back