Windows 10 Stuck on "Please Wait"

grego86

I have a Windows 10 machine and its stuck on a Please Wait screen just before login prompt. I've used a Windows 10 installation disc to try and run startup repair, and go to a restore point but gives me the message "This option is not supported on the operating system you've selected.". I've used CMD prompt to run sfc /scannow, chkdsk /r, and even the bootrec cmds. What is my next options?

Hi grego86
Please provide Make/Model of your computer. Is it a Desktop PC or a Laptop? Is it an OEM PC (Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba)? Or is it a self-built PC or custom-built PC? If so, please provide specs including: Make/Model of Motherboard; CPU chip; GPU card/chip, RAM sticks (such as PC3-10600), and PSU Make/Model/Wattage.

What is the reason you are reinstalling your W10 on the computer? Attacked by virus/malware; Internet Wi-Fi stopped working? Did you run an Antivirus or Antispyware scan? Did you test your Hardware?

These are basic questions we need to advise you further. However, in the meantime while you are gathering this information to Post back here to this thread, take a look at the very good TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE I have written which will give you Step-by-Step instructions on How to Test your Hardware and perform advanced software repairs beyond what you already mentioned. That link to my GUIDE is here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

We'll await your responses here.

Best,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :usa:

Gateway GT5620 originally Vista but person has upgraded to Windows 10 is what they tell me but kinda wondering if it is Windows 8 on here. I tried running systeminfo from cmd prompt but will not work. I ran diskpart and it shows disk size of 298GB but only 1024kb free. I'm not reinstalling 10 was just using the installation disc to access the troubleshooting since I can't access the recovery partition. Pulled the HDD from this desktop and plugged into a docking station on my computer and scanned using AVG, Malwarebytes, and Super Antispyware. Also ran chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow. Can't remember which tool it was but said found errors and repaired. If I forgot to provide anything let me know. Thank you for the assist.

To find out which Windows version you have, try using <windows-logo-key + break-key>.
This is a well known shortcut to get your basic Windows version, basic HW specs, and Windows Activation status. If it's not Genuine & Activated, you may be running a pirated version of W10!:pirate:
You'll need to fix that.;)

<<<BBJ>>>

That would work if i could get logged in but like I've stated I can't even make it to the login prompt. So everything I'm trying to do is at the PE. I'm just going to reinstall 10 bc we are afraid there are viruses or some sort of malware on it, even though I scan it with another computer on a docking station it comes back clean. So maybe system file corruption? But running sfc /scannow says no errors as well. Oh well, it will have a fresh install soon. Thank you for all your help!

You may want to try booting into safe mode. This can be difficult on Windows 10 because of fast boot. The easiest way is to simply force shut down the computer 3 times and it should allow you to get into safe mode.

Other info that would be helpful
  • Did Windows 10 work before?
  • Did you recently install any applications?
  • Did you install Windows updates?
  • Switch from local to MS account or vice versa?

I tried getting into safe mode by turning off and on 3 times and didn't get the option. What I believe is cause is my friend let some stranger claiming to be from Microsoft just randomly call her and connect to computer. So I'm sure they did some damage. Ever since then she couldn't log in or even get to the login prompt. Yes windows 10 worked prior to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Windows Forums mobile app

It was most likely a scam and there's a good chance the computer will need to have Windows re-installed.

Back
Top Bottom