Windows 8 Super slow dell inspiron 1. Do I need more memory?

If this hasn't been mentioned....defragging you HDD will help. I use Asulogics disk defrag but windows has one built it....I'd give that a shot to.
Ok so after upgrading to windows 8.1 I went to the defragment and optimize file?. It shows 4 drives, OS, PBR? winretool and volume, all 4 had 0% fragmentation. it also said that none of them had been run even though it is set to automatically run once a week. My guess is that since there was 0% fragmentation they just do not run.

So I downloaded and ran belarc. I then printed out a 6 page report. it does show a key# for windows under the "manage all your software". I am guessing that is the key you were talking about. thanks for the link, it ill definitely help me understand my laptop.

not sure if I did it right or not

Attachments

• Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip
    770.8 KB · Views: 1,811

Did you try Asulogics disc defrag?

For a key finder....Magic jellybean is a good choice. Belarc Advisor is great utility to know what all is on your system.

For a key finder....Magic jellybean is a good choice. Belarc Advisor is great utility to know what all is on your system.
I just ran the asulogics. it did clean it up a little!. I also checked out the magic jellybean. Thanks

Hi -

Thank you for the files!

A list of your running processes + memory usage in Excel format is attached.

It shows current memory usage at 2.7 GB. We need to cut some apps out to gain system speed.

Please run SysInternals AutoRuns - from Microsoft TechNet.

Download & save to Documents - http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

RIGHT-click on autoruns.exe, "Run as Administrator"

The AutoRuns screen will appear. Let it scan the registry (status on lower-left of screen).

When completed, save as an ARN file (ARN = default file extension).

Zip it up & attach to your next post.

In the meantime - go into System Services and disable the following:
- Press WIN + X keys -- select "Command Prompt (Admin)"
- type services.msc
- Disable:
-- Distributed Link Tracking Client (TrkWks)
-- SuperFetch (SysMain)
-- Windows Search (WSearch)

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Attachments

• 2014-02-23_Windows_Forums.xlsx.zip
    13.7 KB · Views: 247
Just Stop Multiple Application Opening one Start Up and Always Use Smatest, The Lightest and The Powerful. <irrelevant link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

Just so I try and understand what we are doing. I think we all agree I have plenty of ram and that is not the issue. The issue is that I am using 2.7 gb of it and that is a clue that I have things running that do not need to be running and if I turn them off my processor will work faster. is this correct?
I am working with small intervals of time during the week. As soon as I can I will run what you asked. I also am working with limited knowledge and things take me a long time to do. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Just Stop Multiple Application Opening one Start Up and Always Use Smatest, The Lightest and The Powerful. <irrelevant link removed>
So I think what you wanted me to do is disable some "unnecessary" programs at startup. I went to task manager and then startup. I disabled 3 programs by realtek called audio HD. I also disabled something called delayed launcher. I crossed my fingers and rebooted it. so far so go. I know have 10 programs enabled at startup. when I have more time I will goggle each one and see what it says. Thanks again.

I tried that Asulogics on my other laptop with Vista. it worded great. it freed up almost a gig of space. I only had 1 gig free before and now I have 1.9. I also did a few things to it that were suggested here and it works pretty good now as a backup. I still might update it to Windows 8