The Internet is a basic human right

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
The Internet is a basic human right Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error Written by Link Removed due to 404 Error Monday, 08 March 2010 11:18
y_globe.gif

Most of the world believes

More than
80 per cent of the world believe that access to the internet is a fundamental right.

According to a poll for the BBC World Service suggests more than 27,000 adults across 26 countries think it should be seen as a basic commodity such as food, water and new episodes of Dr Who.

Countries such as Finland and Estonia have already ruled that access is a human right for their citizens and the UN are also pushing for universal net access.

Dr Hamadoun Toure, secretary-general of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), told BBC News that the right to communicate cannot be ignored as it is the most powerful potential source of enlightenment ever created. He added that governments must "regard the internet as basic infrastructure - just like roads, waste and water.

However some countries favour the government getting involved in more internet censorship. In the UK, for example, 55 per cent believed that there was a case for some government regulation of the internet, something that the Chinese agreed with. South Korea and Nigeria felt strongly that governments should never be involved in regulation of the internet.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I'm from the UK and I certainly don't think that the Internet should be Goverment regulated although I do agree that now it's here, it should acessable by all....

Thoughts?..

I think that the government will be necessary in some regulation, particularly software programs. Much like the way the Federal Food and Drug Administration inspects for potential harm in food products. They could test for Trojans and other viruses.

I think that the government will be necessary in some regulation, particularly software programs. Much like the way the Federal Food and Drug Administration inspects for potential harm in food products. They could test for Trojans and other viruses.

I think that once any government starts regulating the Internet, they will start taxing everything, and turn it into a giant warehouse for buying products. This already started, but the Internet is an open marketplace. Once that ends, and it will only end with government intervention, the Internet will lose its appeal to the "anyone" publisher. The Internet had tax free goods until state and federal government started enacting commerce laws on Internet sales. So it wasn't enough to tax physical transactions, but virtual ones as well. Who knows how much this has set back the Internet's growth, you see? An unelected consortium of billionaires already control the Internet through some extent - but many of these individuals are programmers and intellectuals - so as it stands now, you could argue that the Internet is a meritocracy type of system. Once governments become involved in the regulation of the Internet, it ceases to be a free marketplace of ideas and more of a highly regulated media, much like television and radio. If you look at TV and radio, what has happened? A few media companies control the majority of everything you see and hear, at least in the U.S. This is why I would be against government regulation of the Internet. It will become draconian over time, and ruin what the Internet used to be: a place for research and free communication.

Remember, now the top usage of the Internet is now for e-mail, sex, and commerce. It used to be for research, discussion groups, education and self-improvement, friendship, and things like that.

To further my argument against regulation, under the Bush administration, the federal government tried so subpoena all of Google's search result records, with IP addresses. All of them. Google fought it. Microsoft and Yahoo! are rumored to have capitulated. So where is your right to privacy then? Shouldn't you have one on the Internet?

Where's Your Privacy Now ?

I'd really love to hear from people who have been seriously hurt by malicious software (For Example: The Energizer Bunny)

Who's going to police Internet Evil doers ? Microsoft can't do it all alone. The majority of the population aren't super geeks, seems like they'll be hurt the worst. Especially if the Internet is their "Basic Human Right". They'll be expected to use it, even if it is not their thing.

I think that once any government starts regulating the Internet, they will start taxing everything, and turn it into a giant warehouse for buying products. This already started, but the Internet is an open marketplace. Once that ends, and it will only end with government intervention, the Internet will lose its appeal to the "anyone" publisher. The Internet had tax free goods until state and federal government started enacting commerce laws on Internet sales. So it wasn't enough to tax physical transactions, but virtual ones as well. Who knows how much this has set back the Internet's growth, you see? An unelected consortium of billionaires already control the Internet through some extent - but many of these individuals are programmers and intellectuals - so as it stands now, you could argue that the Internet is a meritocracy type of system. Once governments become involved in the regulation of the Internet, it ceases to be a free marketplace of ideas and more of a highly regulated media, much like television and radio. If you look at TV and radio, what has happened? A few media companies control the majority of everything you see and hear, at least in the U.S. This is why I would be against government regulation of the Internet. It will become draconian over time, and ruin what the Internet used to be: a place for research and free communication.

Remember, now the top usage of the Internet is now for e-mail, sex, and commerce. It used to be for research, discussion groups, education and self-improvement, friendship, and things like that.

To further my argument against regulation, under the Bush administration, the federal government tried so subpoena all of Google's search result records, with IP addresses. All of them. Google fought it. Microsoft and Yahoo! are rumored to have capitulated. So where is your right to privacy then? Shouldn't you have one on the Internet?

I agree with many of the issues voiced here...

Goverment regulation for me is the death knell..

Where once an original, dynamic, self sustaining phenomena existed I see only stagnation, fragmentation and bureaucracy if left to our individular goverments..

I agree . Keep the goverment off and let the internet grow . Once hedged around it will stagnate and die . Slowly but it will have lost its originality if tied down with rules and strictures at every turn .

I like this idea as the very idea to filter out malware, but I don't think it would be easy or even possible at all. :)

I like this idea as the very idea to filter out malware, but I don't think it would be easy or even possible at all. :)

Trouble is goverments have to get involved . Then they start to whittle and before you know it the internet , is just like anything else . It used to be exciteing and fresh . Now it is like most of life , slowly being stiffled by rules and regulations .
No more cowboys = a very dull time for all , safer but dull .

Cowboy_Shooting-2_T-shirt72.jpg

wHoOsh said:
It used to be exciteing and fresh . Now it is like most of life , slowly being stiffled by rules and regulations. No more cowboys = a very dull time for all , safer but dull .

You're a true cowboy Whoosh, and I know you know better, especially that better the devil you know than the devil you don't. ;)

Seems the government nowadays really wanted to control everything... maybe after 10 years they want to control our every move... every action we take they are guarding but they themselves don't know how to guard their seats... The spirit of Democracy is dying...

It's a shame but it seems when anything new appears a la Internet then the powers that be are not happy until it's chopped up and sold off..

Back