Windows 7 Toshiba THNSNJ128G8NY 128GB PCI-E Gen.3 SSD

if microsoft does get outta' hand … guess we could always go with linux. i enjoyed the ubuntu experience several years ago. thumbs up.

That is my alternative plan. I just need to be able to get my programs for making my videos in place first. my work flow might change a bit but it is my alter. plan

Well with all honesty, Windows 10 and perhaps 8 & 8.1 create GPT partitions that windows 7 won't be allowed to mess with. So I moved all my files to my D:\ Drive and then as the Win7 DVD was booting to the installation start, I hit Shift+F10 and a CMD box opened and had me at an X:\ prompt. I simply entered Disk Part and hit enter. then I needed to know what my SSD drive number was. So I entered next: List Drive. the System will list vertically your non-removable drives. You need to realize what the number of your SSD drive is.

Disk Part, basically, in a nutshell, treats your SSD drive as a regular hard drive. You CAN use drivers, if you have them, but my Toshiba SSD, a 128GB M.3, wasn't around during Windows 7 days. I was getting discouraged until I found a website that somebody gave the precise directions on how to remove the GPT partition, by deleting the file system structure. thereby making the drive accessible to Windows 7.

Some of you know that, I was one of the FIRST insiders testing the Windows 10 OS back in the days of build 9926(Circa Jan 2015). One thing we heard about is that, Microsoft wanted to carry on with Windows 10 as a Software service.. and it is now. I'm on the fence and have been over the entire cycle thus far with Windows 10. there's a lot to like, and there's a lot to NOT like. I don't like how we end users lost control over certain aspects of the OS. Windows 10 is now a perpetual Beta OS. It will never be "finished." This is one aspect of Windows 7 I love. Is Windows 10 really any more secure? -no. the recent cyber attack on British NHS was due to the British government STILL using Windows XP systems that weren't patched with critical updates, and by my reading of the news reports, they didn't care to patch those systems.. tisk-tisk. But with Windows 7, I too have UAC, as Windows Vista was the very start of UAC. So Windows 7 is it.

If things get too stupid. my Alternative plan is to install Linux. I'm just getting my plans together on which Flavor offers a good Video editing suite to do my videos. But I do have the actual backup plans I desire.

-Rag

i haven't had the pleasure in working with ssd, ragnarok1968 … fully possible my next computer will implement a hybrid.

as for microsoft … will stick with 'em for a while … until, that is, service plans are mandated for we "common folk". yes … little doubt microsoft listens to our every keypunch. nsa might be doing the same … at the chip-level rather than os-level (unix, linux, mac, raspberry-pi, etc). doesn't bother me in the least.

however … third-party software with snooping abilities is a whole other story. neemobeer opened a topic last week regarding certain driver(s) in hp products … contained keylogging processes. crikey … a little backwards engineering on hackers' part … and they'd be able to circumvent the strokes straight from the driver's *.dll files. av and anti-malware wouldn't have so much as a clue. i read up on the exposé a bit … and, even though hp embellished their own culpability with a show of "concern" … the creators of the driver (purportedly conexant) haven't acknowledged tutti-frutti. at least that's what i understood.

so … i doubt microsoft would sell us to hackers … but the data could flow right through the fingertips of some third-party miscreants.

in closing, ragnarok1968 … thanks for sharing your exposure 'n knowledge while dissecting your own computer.

HP Devices now with built-in keylogger...

So to reiterate the process of getting a former windows 10 SSD drive to install Windows 7, again, here are 2 methods

Here are a couple ways to do what I was explaining:
Link: "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."??
Method #1:
1. Boot up to installation DVD/CD.
2. Click install but don't follow through.
3. Press SHIFT-F10 to bring up console.
4. Type "diskpart"
5. Once inside diskpart type:
-> list disk (find the one you want to convert)
-> select disk 0 (select the one you want from the list)
-> convert mbr (should take a second or two)
-> quit
6. Continue with install

Method #2:
1. Boot up to installation DVD/CD.
2. Click install but don't follow through.
3. Press SHIFT-F10 to bring up console.
4. Type "diskpart"
5. Once inside diskpart type:
-> list disk (find the one you want to convert)
-> select disk 0 (select the one you want from the list)
-> clean (wait an hour or so until its done)
-> quit
6. Continue with install

Back
Top Bottom