Windows 10 Trouble making the Magnifier Start

docjavatorduncan

Maybe a month or so, Windows Magnifier on both my work computer and my home computer developed a problem. When I start my computer, and get to the Windows desktop, clicking on the Magnifier icon that I have pinned to the taskbar does nothing. Technically, it shows a horizontal line over the icon for a moment (my taskbar is at the top of the screen) but does not start. This goes on for a while. I have to be in Windows using applications, like Firefox, for about ten minutes before I can make the magnifier work. It used to start immediately. I don't know what's wrong. I can only assume it was a Windows 10 update. I have no idea how I could do that myself. Recently, my boot loader disappeared (again, a Windows update, I assume) and my system had to be wiped and rebuilt about three weeks ago. It still has this problem. How can I fix this? I really need the magnifier to read anything on the screen, and I already have a lower-than-recommended resolution. Thanks.

It may have changed if you upgraded Windows 10 builds.

Validate Magnifier is enabled
  • Press [Windows Key + i]
  • Type Magnify and select 'Turn Magnifier on or off'
  • mag.png
  • Make sure to toggle 'Turn of Magnifier' to On​
Windows key + '+' will enable it

If it still isn't working, look in the 'Event Viewer' and see if there are any errors regarding the magnifier application and post the errors

press the gear wheel to open your settings options... from there you can toggle it on or off
Screenshot (4352).png

I have not tried the Windows key plus i before. I'll try that the next time I start my computer.
I wanted to do ctrl-escape and search for "magnifier." However, while my computer is in this state that won't allow for clicking and then opening the magnifier from its icon, it also refuses to respond to the Home button or ctrl-escape. I've not ever seen that in anotehr version of Windows and it's troubling. It suggests a bug in Windows 10 to me. Why can't I make ctrl-escape work for about ten minutes?

Thanks for these instructions. I haven't tried the Windows key + i before. I'll try that next. However, other suggestions requrie that I can bring up the start menu. During the period that I can't make the Magnifier start, pressing ctrl+escape to open the start menu doesn't work. Clicking on the home/start icon does nothing. This suggests to me that something is really wrong in Windows 10 but I have no idea what it is. Thanks.

Code:
[windows key] + [i]
should give you the settings tab... you can still get to it from settings
Screenshot (981).png

Back