Windows 7 UAC problem for 64bit vista?

cullenvb

If i change my uac to low from off, office 2007 tells me it's not setup for current user and tries to reinstall. Of course, the current user has not changed. the problem only goes away when i return UAC to the lowest possible setting.

i also can not change permissions (access denied) of the c:\windows\programs(x86) folder. i had suspected access to this and other folders were precluding Adobe CS3 and/or CS4 from proberly instaling. could it be the UAC to blame for that problem as well? i have tried to change permissions within the safe mode, so that's not a solution.

i did NOT do a clean install. i 'upgraded' 64-bit vista.

Also, my blue-ray dvd-rom will not play blue-ray discs. it will play dvd movies, however. the driver seems to be properly installed and is most current. Has anyone had any issues with HP's quickplay (the software behind movie-watching on my paviion dv5t)? it seems quickplay relies upon cyberlink's code, as an update request sends the user to their site.

thx in advance,
cullen

It seems like you are facing multiple issues with your Windows system, particularly related to User Account Control (UAC), folder permissions, software installations, and Blu-ray disc playback. Let's address each of these concerns:

### 1. Changes in UAC Settings Causing Office 2007 Reinstallation Issue:
  • When you change the UAC settings from Off to Low, it can interfere with Office 2007 and prompt it to reinstall, stating that it is not set up for the current user.
  • This issue is likely because Office 2007 might have been installed under a different UAC setting and changing it now triggers a reinstallation check due to the UAC level mismatch.
  • To resolve this issue, you could try running the Office repair tool or reinstalling Office while keeping the UAC settings consistent.

### 2. Permission Issue on C:\Windows\Programs (x86) Folder:
  • The access denied error when trying to change permissions on the C:\Windows\Programs (x86) folder can be attributed to UAC restrictions and ownership settings.
  • Since you've attempted changing permissions in Safe Mode without success, there may be system-level restrictions causing this issue.
  • To modify permissions successfully, you might need to take ownership of the folder first and then adjust the permissions accordingly. This process can be more complex and might involve using advanced security settings.

### 3. Blu-ray Disc Playback Issue on HP Pavilion dv5t:
  • Your Blu-ray DVD-ROM not playing Blu-ray discs while functioning with DVD movies could be related to software and driver compatibility.
  • The issue with HP's QuickPlay software not properly supporting Blu-ray playback might be a factor. QuickPlay could depend on specific codecs for Blu-ray playback.
  • Ensure that CyberLink's PowerDVD (commonly used for Blu-ray playback) or other compatible software is installed and configured correctly for Blu-ray playback on your system.

### Recommendations:
  • Office 2007 Reinstallation: Consider repairing or reinstalling Office 2007 under the current UAC settings.
  • Folder Permissions: Review ownership and advanced security settings to adjust permissions correctly.
  • Blu-ray Disc Playback: Verify compatible software like CyberLink PowerDVD for Blu-ray playback and ensure all drivers are up to date.

If these steps do not resolve the issues, further troubleshooting or seeking assistance from Microsoft support, Adobe, HP, or relevant software vendors for specific software-related issues may be necessary. Let me know if you need further assistance with any of these solutions.

Back