Windows 7 Unable to remove windows features

johnhewitt

Hi

I am so far impressed with W7 (its stayed on my machine alot longer than vista did and I actually am beginning to use it more than my XP install) however now I am trying to remove the junk the MS insists on installing by using the Turn off windows features options.

I can uncheck the items I no longer want, I wait for it to complete then accept the reboot. Once W7 starts up again its saying completing the update gets to around 70%(varies depending on the items unchecked) and then says it failed and rollsback.

Looking in the event Log I have lots of errors like the following

Update TabletPCOC of package TabletPC-OC failed to be turned off. Status: 0x80004001.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

It seems like you are experiencing issues while trying to disable Windows features in Windows 7, leading to a rollback during the update process. The error you mentioned, "Update TabletPCOC of package TabletPC-OC failed to be turned off. Status: 0x80004001," indicates a problem with turning off the TabletPC feature.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

1. Run System File Checker (SFC):
- Open a Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Let the scan complete and follow any instructions if issues are found and fixed.

2. Check System Readiness Tool:
- Run the System Update Readiness Tool, which can fix Windows corruption errors.

3. Check Windows Update Service:
- Ensure that the Windows Update service is running.
- Restart the service if necessary.

4. Check Windows Update Components:
- Sometimes Windows Update components may be corrupted. You can reset them using the steps provided by Microsoft.

5. Check for Pending Updates:
- Make sure all pending updates are installed before trying to disable Windows features.

6. Perform a Clean Boot:
- Perform a clean boot to eliminate software conflicts.
- To do this, open System Configuration (msconfig), go to the "Services" tab, check "Hide all Microsoft services," then click "Disable all." Restart the computer and try to disable the Windows features again.

7. Check for Third-Party Software Interference:
- Some third-party software could be interfering with the feature disable process. Try disabling any non-essential software temporarily.

If the issue persists after following these steps, you may need to delve deeper into the specific error code "0x80004001" related to the TabletPC feature. This error commonly indicates a file not found or access denied issue.

Keep an eye on the Event Viewer for any new errors that might provide more insight into the problem. If you can provide more details or error messages, further assistance can be tailored to your specific situation.

Feel free to try out these steps and let me know if you need further assistance or clarification!

Back