Windows 7 Unicode Characters Failing to Display Properly (Font Settings May Be Repeatedly Corrupted Upon Resta

Problematique

For some reason Windows 7 (Home Premium, 64-bit) has recently stopped displaying Unicode characters correctly. I know its a Windows issue, not specific to a certain program, because the problem appears on Asian characters and symbols like the stars in my song ratings across various programs like foobar2000, Mp3Tag, and iTunes. I don't think they work anywhere; I just happen to notice their absences (replaced by ugly square placeholders) in my media-related programs.

One interesting thing is that restoring my default font settings via Control Panel appears to fix the problem every other time I restart (ie, I might be able to get Unicode working correctly if I always restore the default font settings before restarting or rebooting my PC - but that is heinously annoying).

The only possible cause I can think of is that I have had some programs to modify the Windows UI such as GDI++ to make the fonts Mac-like (decided ClearType was better rather quickly :p) and pieces of Stardock's suite including programs like WindowsBlinds, IconPackager, etc. I somewhat recently uninstalled all of them, but I didn't notice the problem right away, so I am not sure if they have anything to do with it.

Thanks to whoever can help me.

Edit: I resolved the problem myself. Mods can close this thread.

Last edited:
For some reason Windows 7 (Home Premium, 64-bit) has recently stopped displaying Unicode characters correctly. I know its a Windows issue, not specific to a certain program, because the problem appears on Asian characters and symbols like the stars in my song ratings across various programs like foobar2000, Mp3Tag, and iTunes. I don't think they work anywhere; I just happen to notice their absences (replaced by ugly square placeholders) in my media-related programs.

One interesting thing is that restoring my default font settings via Control Panel appears to fix the problem every other time I restart (ie, I might be able to get Unicode working correctly if I always restore the default font settings before restarting or rebooting my PC - but that is heinously annoying).

The only possible cause I can think of is that I have had some programs to modify the Windows UI such as GDI++ to make the fonts Mac-like (decided ClearType was better rather quickly :p) and pieces of Stardock's suite including programs like WindowsBlinds, IconPackager, etc. I somewhat recently uninstalled all of them, but I didn't notice the problem right away, so I am not sure if they have anything to do with it.

Thanks to whoever can help me.

Edit: I resolved the problem myself. Mods can close this thread.

I have the same problem , can you explain how you solved this issue?

anybody have a solution to this?

This problem is frustrating because it's intermittent. Sometimes unicode characters display properly; sometimes they don't.

Back