Windows 8 Unigine Heaven Benchmark- Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
The actual speed shown is not the real issue, because all sorts of things can effect that. But the comparison between Windows 7 and Windows 8 might be interesting.

The Nvidia card is running in PCIe 3.0 mode. All settings, which are the same for each, are shown in the attachment.

Attachments

• Benchmark.JPG
    Benchmark.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 3,157
Nice fps you got there Clark.. My poor creaky 5870 only gets half those numbers. :)

Hey kemical, it is a new system, so hopefully it would be faster than my old one.

But I was thinking about the comparison when the Heaven Benchmark does not say it is for Windows 8.

It runs fine, I was just wondering if there were enhancements in Windows 8 that the Benchmark was not able to take advantage of... I suppose I need to ask in the EVGA forum or see if there is anything on the Unigine site. Unless you might happen to know..:encouragement:

A more recent benchmark that might be worth trying is this one:
Catzilla Benchmark Download BETA version 16
It's written with windows 8 in mind so you might see more of a difference between 7 and 8?
I've not tried any comparisons between 7 and 8 myself as I stopped dual booting a while ago. When I tested a few games it seemed that some were better but most ran the same fps under win 8 as they did under win 7.

This article may interest you?

Windows 8 Versus Windows 7: Game Performance, Benchmarked : Does Windows 8 Let You Play Just Like Windows 7?

Thanks kemical, that is a good link. Some of the folks over in the EVGA forum seem to believe also, that the performance is about the same.....

When is Crysis 3 coming out again??? :) Just kidding, but it is funny, I am still playing Crysis. It seems the graphic cards do not catch up to the graphics until the next generation cards come out. I did not get a good visual experience with Crysis (no SLI) until the GTX 480 came out.

Interesting tests what I'd like to see is a test with identical hardware with a fresh install of Windows 7 RTM build 7600 I think with no Windows updates, MSE installed and disable Aero and sidebar gadgets. And a fresh install of Windows 8 RTM with no Windows updates. It would be insteresting to see how much of the faster preformance of Windows 8 was due to eliminating Aero and Gadgets and Windows 7 being full of MS updates.
Joe

I've just started playing the original Crysis through again myself. I've played this game so many times but still find the technical side to this game incredible. They threw everything at it and when traveling through the dried up riverbed section on the start of 'Call of the Lusca' the 'POM' used has to be seen to be believed. I found this image via google which shows a few of the bumpy bits:

pom-crysis2i7ji.jpg

I also love the combat and have a tweaked Delta level file I use. It makes the guards even nastier, shooting at you far sooner plus your nano suit isn't as powerful (cloak lasts literally seconds when moving). Oh and the guards still speak english as apposed to Korean as much of what they say can be incredibly funny in the middle of a firefight. If you'd like a copy ( it's only a cfg file) I'd be more than happy to pass it on.
I like Crysis 2 as well although whilst still a technical marvel I feel it doesn't have the panache of the original (I still play it to death however).
Crysis 3, which as I'm sure your aware is out in February (Walking Dead month) and apparently Crytek are going to give PC users what they wanted with Crysis 2. Something which will make a top end pc weep when the game is maxed out.. Oh and lot's of running around blowing things up lol.

Good idea for benching there Joe. I wonder if anyone has tried that? I might scan through google and see..

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 476
Last edited by a moderator:
Back