Windows 7 Upgrade to 7048 x86 stays at 20% for 4 hours and doesnt move. images inside.

M@|ice

ok so i have installed build 7000 over vista ultimate fine, 7022 over 7000 find now im trying to install 7048 over 7022 and i see the below for hour upon hours. it just sits at 20% and doesnt move. cpu in task manager shows 48-50% use from the setup though so its doing something but i see nothing different. ive already reboot and attempted again, anyone know whats going on? thanks!
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Is there any reason you're not doing a clean install?
They give much better results.

Is there any reason you're not doing a clean install?
They give much better results.

Its a pain in the rear for me to reinstall all my software and do all my settings over again. Also I'm very curious why after 3 successful upgrades this one is stuck. The other 3 times took less than an hour total. No one else is having this problem?

Its a pain in the rear for me to reinstall all my software and do all my settings over again. Also I'm very curious why after 3 successful upgrades this one is stuck. The other 3 times took less than an hour total. No one else is having this problem?
Yes. Many are having the same problem with upgrading. Builds are deliberately kept from public release, as they are normally only used to examine the success of attention to feedback reports. Previous bugs, which have not been corrected, can be passed from one to another. As Kyle suggests, as they are only builds, it is better to do a clean install. Probably unwise to install the whole of you software, anyway, until you are certain of stability.

I had several issues with this build -- now resolved.

It's possible that as this is NOT a public beta there is no reason to suppose that it will (or even should) run on all possible hardware -- it's an INTERNAL test so it's up to MS what will and won't work on it.

I only resolved my issues by actually uninstalling some Microsoft drivers and installing silghtly older INTEL one's.

If you are testing different builds on an "unofficial" release you should go for a CLEAN install every time.

(Note also there is no reason either to suppose that there should (or even could ) be an "upgrade" from one internal build (7022) to another (7048).

Although I'm hoping the public RC1 will be "upgradeable" from previous versions Microsoft doesn't actually have to support this (although it probably will want to test upgrades from VISTA so build 7000 should also work for upgrade).

There ARE a number of issues with build 7048 some of which you might be able to fix --but as it's an INTERNAL build you are on your own here.

Cheers
jimbo

Yes. In fact, on reflection, and with Jimbo's post in mind, you could even be downgrading by going from one leaked build to another!!

thanks guys for all the replies on this. i think im going to just do a clean install. it seems pretty slow right now and from what im gathering from you guys ill get better performance out of my machine and the OS doing a fresh install.

Clean install is definitely always the way to go ;).. and it's never wise to upgrade from a BETA to another BETA anyways... ;) Your just asking for problems that way.. And as for it being a pain in the a$$ to reinstall all your apps and such.. yes that is a pain but hey, these interim builds aren't ment to be released to the public in the first place so really by installing them your just asking for that annoyance... ;) I'd suggest just waiting for the RC.. it's only a month or so away.. Builds 7000 and 7022 are more than stable enough to use in the meantime.. :)

I just upgraded from 7022 to 7048 with no problems. I had that problem your having when I upgraded from 7000 to 7022. I forgot what I did to fix the problem but if I remember ill post it. I plan on a clean install for RC1 but didn't see the need for this upgrade.

Dont know if it will work for anyone else or not,but when my upgrade froze i killed the dllhost.exe processes(there was 2) from task manager and it unstalled and finished up. Ive had consistent problems with dllhost.exe since i installed the public beta and continuing with each leaked build. For some reason windows explorer will stall up and icons/thumbnails wont update and the window contents dont respond to any organizing by modified date etc. If i kill the dllhost.ext processes then windows explorer functions as usual again. Just a note to anyone else maybe experiencing that problem

Back
Top Bottom