Windows 10 upgrade to Build 10523

weeder

I am trying to install Build 10532. The download and install complete with no messages. When the restart runs, I get the window that Windows 10 is updating but the update never happens. I get a notification that the update did not happen and the process starts all over again. I have done this 3 times and the update never takes. What do I do now?

Hi,
can you post what your computer specification is please.

My desk top is a:
Dell Studio XPS 435t/9000
processor i7 2.67GHz memory 12GB 64 bit

The PC was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.
This is the first Build I have tried to install.

I hope this is what you are asking for.

Hi,
when you first upgraded to windows 10 did you check your system was Windows 10 compatible? I'm wondering if it is because checking your systems support page I can only find drivers for Windows 7. This could be why the new build is failing but in any case try and boot into safe mode to stop the upgrade:
How to start or boot Windows 10 in Safe Mode

To stop the upgrade going ahead try opening the start menu, click on settings, Updates and security and then under Windows update click advanced options. Look under 'Get started' and change the settings so new builds won't be installed.

kemical,

I am a little confused by your response.
First my PC is currently running Windows 10 and runs all my applications.
Before I started the upgrade from Windows 7 I did run the compatibility
software and found no problem.

What I am trying to do now is upgrade Windows 10 to Build 10523.
The process does not stop my current Windows 10 system from running,
it just doesn't seem to install.
Should I still try your suggestions?

Hi,
sorry for the confusion.
I thought you were stuck in an upgrade loop and I mentioned the safe mode process so you could get out of it.
Have you tried stopping the process, reboot a few times and then start the process again. If you have any Security apps running disable them.

When I start the upgrade process, the download starts and the install
starts and finishes and I get a chance to pick when I want to restart, now or when
the system schedules the restart. I request a restart now and then I get a Window
where the % increases as the system is going to 100%. Eventually my login Window
appears and I enter the password and the system is at the same level as when I
started. I have done this at least 3 times. I do have McAfee installed and I will turn it off
before I start the restart. I also have Grub installed so I can bring up Ubuntu on this same
PC. Maybe that is interfering with the upgrade???

I do have McAfee installed and I will turn it off
before I start the restart. I also have Grub installed so I can bring up Ubuntu on this same
PC. Maybe that is interfering with the upgrade
It's possible that either one could mess with the upgrade and it might be worth returning to the Windows boot loader.

One of the reasons I'm not bothering with these new builds is because we'll get them as updates come November in what's termed 'ThreshHold 2'. (kinda like a mini service pack with new tweaks ect)

I have a guess on why Build 10523 will not install on my PC. Another PC
I have is running Build 10523 and I had no trouble with the installation.
The About window on that PC has "Windows 10 Home Insider Preview".
The problem PC has on The About window "Windows 10 Home". No mention
of the Insider Preview issue. Your thoughts?

Do you mean the pc running build 10532 is an insider preview version or at least has that written on the desktop? If that's the case then this is probably normal because Build 10532 isn't RTM. It's an evaluation copy so Microsoft can get your feedback.

I wonder if you have some corruption which is spoiling the process?
Right click on the start menu button and from the revealed menu choose admin command prompt. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

You can also try running:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
copy and paste the above into the same admin command prompt box. This scan will take a little longer.

I ran both sfc and dism.exe and they both found no problems.
Again I tried the update Build process and it did not "take".
Not sure what to try next?

Hmm... Take a look at my screenshot. Do your settings match mine?
upgrade.jpg

kemical,

Thank you for the screenshot. My Advance Options window matches yours.

One other item: When the PC is going thru the restart process and after it gets
to 100%, a window flashes by to quickly for me to see the total message and then
the PC seems to restart again but with out the % climbing window. Eventually
I get the logon picture and can lift it to enter my PW. I wish I could slow this process
down (step thru it) so I could really see what is happening.

How much free space is left on the HDD?

Can you check the event log and see if that say's anything possibly related.

Also do you have anything attached like a printer or scanner?

Free space on the C drive is 840GB.

I do have a HP printer/scanner but it is wireless and part
of my house network. No printers are attached to the PC.

I do not know how to view the event log nor what I should
be looking for.

Try clearing the update cache. Open an admin command prompt and type these commands pressing enter after each one:

net stop wuauserv

cd\windows

rd /s SoftwareDistribution

net start wuauserv

If it's easier simply copy and paste the commands over one at a time, press enter and so on.

I entered the commands in the order you requested successfully
and then tried the Build upgrade process. I ended up with the restart
not installing Build 10523. Same result as before.

Do you have Hyper-V enabled? If so disable it and try again. Seems a few folk have been having this issue and one solution which works for some is to disable Hyper-V or if it's already disabled try enabling it.

Open control panel, programs, programs and features then look for 'Turn Windows features on or off'

Back