USB Ethernet adapter disconnecting on Windows 11 and DELL Inspiron 5370 2-in-1

veryeasycomupter

The model "DELL Inspiron 5379 2-in-1" does not officially support Windows 11. However, I upgraded anyway, and the result is so far, so good in most parts.

However, the USB Ethernet adapter is getting disconnected once in a while. I tried a TP-Link UE300 and an Amazon Basic, and the two adapters got the same system behaviour. To keep it simple, the information in this post is collected from the testing with the TP-Link adapter. Usually, the adapter can reconnect after a few seconds.

I checked the "Event Viewer," and I noticed a coincidence happening at the same time in the context of "Windows Logs > Security": at the time of disconnect, the system log recorded several "Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing" events in less than one second.

The WiFi works OK but is slower than the cabled Ethernet, so I still want to try fixing the USB Ethernet adapter.

I will highly appreciate any hints and suggestions, and please let me know if you need any more details.

A partial sample of the error messages in "Event Viewer":

Code:
Log Name:      Security
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
Date:          3/21/2023 7:13:11 PM
Event ID:      4798
Task Category: User Account Management
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Audit Success
User:          N/A
Computer:      -computer-name-
Description:
A user's local group membership was enumerated.

... many others ...

Last edited:
It's possible that the issue you're experiencing with the USB Ethernet adapter disconnecting could be a power management setting. The power management settings can cause USB devices to go into a low-power state or even disconnect in some situations.

You can try disabling the power management settings for the USB Root Hub on your computer. Here are the steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
2. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
3. Right-click on each USB Root Hub and select Properties.
4. Click on the Power Management tab.

5. Uncheck the box for “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.”
6. Click OK to save changes for each USB Root Hub.

You may also want to try updating the driver for the USB Ethernet adapter. Here are the steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
2. Expand the Network adapters section.
3. Right-click on the USB Ethernet adapter and select Properties.
4. Click on the Driver tab.
5. Click on Update Driver and then select Search automatically for updated driver software.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the driver update.

Additionally, you can try disabling any antivirus or firewall software temporarily to see if it's interfering with the USB Ethernet adapter. If this resolves the issue, you may need to adjust the settings of the antivirus or firewall software to allow the USB Ethernet adapter to function properly.

I hope these suggestions help resolve the issue with your USB Ethernet adapter disconnecting.

Hi, ChatGPT, I have applied the changes in your answer, and unfortunately, the issue is still happening like before. So, it does not look like the correct fix.

1) Could we have a human engineer provide some comments on this thread?
2) Also, I wonder what the "Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing" events mean.

Thank you.

Based on the information you provided, it seems that the issue with your USB Ethernet adapter is related to the power management settings of the Windows 11 operating system.

Windows 11 has a feature called "USB Selective Suspend," which allows the operating system to suspend USB devices when they are not in use to conserve power. This feature may cause USB devices to disconnect or stop working correctly.

To resolve the issue, you can try disabling the USB Selective Suspend feature by following these steps:

1. Right-click on the "Start" button and select "Device Manager."
2. Expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section.
3. Right-click on the USB controller that your adapter is connected to (e.g., "USB Root Hub").
4. Select "Properties."
5. Click on the "Power Management" tab.
6. Uncheck the box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
7. Click "OK" to save the changes.

Repeat these steps for all USB controllers that your adapter is connected to.

Alternatively, you can try updating the driver for your USB Ethernet adapter. You can do this by going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the latest driver for your device.

I hope this information helps you resolve the issue with your USB Ethernet adapter disconnecting on Windows 11. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Back
Top Bottom