Windows 7 Visual Studio 2005 - SQL 2008 Support

Saintless

I recently installed Win 7 x64 on my machine. I have Visual Studio 2005 Standard, and need to install the KB954961 update for SQL 2008 support, so I can connect to the remote SQL Server within VS.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EF-1AA2-408D-AA0F-9DF094F993BF&displaylang=en

When I try to run the update, I get this message:
The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.
I have verified that VS has SP 1 installed, and have even tried reinstalling it.

I am wondering if the problem could be that I'm on Windows 7 64bit? Has anyone had this issue?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

That Windows 7 is clearly not on the list of supported OS's is most likely the cause of the incompatibility error you get. If launching the update in Vista SP 2 compatibility mode does not help, then just wait for another update compatible with Windows 7. Also, you are to have Visual Studio Service Pack 1 installed.

Another cause could be that the update may not be for VS Standard.

Back
Top Bottom