Windows 10 W10 forgot local password when repairing installation

SeptimusFry

Extraordinary Member
Having just recovered my system after some disastrous problems, I learned a hard-won lessong.

When recovering or repairing W10 systems, there are times when you are expected to provide the login and password for the damaged system. This poses a significant difficulty to those who login on the internet, using an email address and password. These are no use in the recovery environment, only a local administrator will do.

So, to anyone who, like me, logs in with email address and password, I advise creating another user with administrator rights and a local login. I now have [email protected] as username, a four-digit short key for a password, I have ADMIN as another username with a local password.

Perhaps you could share the method. Remember i am talking about a system under repair which cannot be logged into.

Specifically, keyboard and mouse inoperable at normal login screen. Using a W10 installation media to try to repair. It looks on the security database of the damaged system and demands the password for my local (non-existant) account.

Perhaps you could share the method. Remember i am talking about a system under repair which cannot be logged into.

Specifically, keyboard and mouse inoperable at normal login screen. Using a W10 installation media to try to repair. It looks on the security database of the damaged system and demands the password for my local (non-existant) account.

Inviato dal mio P8 utilizzando Tapatalk

I was aware of that technique if you are able to use a keyboard/mouse at the login screen, and putting it here is very useful.

However it will not work when you have no keyboard or mouse to use at the login screen. You cannot access the cmd prompt you substitute for the on-screen keyboard. Keyboard and mouse are available to talk to the installation software, but not the damaged system.

My original precautionary suggestion does no harm, relies on not much expertise/research/notes. Simply create a memorable local account with admin privilege.

Back
Top Bottom