Windows 7 Where's the "sort by" bar?

D-11

Hi, I bough Win7 two days ago (Or was it three) Anyway I spend a lot of time sorting through pictures on my HDD and one thing I loved about Vista was the "Sort By" bar. You could sort files A-Z or Z-A by tags, by specific tags, by 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars, 5-1 rating, 1-5 rating you name it. So... Where is it?! How do I get it back?

Also, in the Photo Gallery or whatever it's called in Vista you had an information pane. I miss that one too. Made rating and tagging much faster and easier then it is now.

I'm using Win7 Home Prem if that helps.

P.S. I love Win7, now I can play my games without them crashing every half hour

Go into Windows explorer.
Click: Organize.
Mouse over: Layout.
Check: Menu bar.

This will give you the classic style Menu Bar.

Click: View

"Sort by" is in there.

Yes, I found that but with that I can't exclude stuff. I can only sort things from "top" to "bottom" and vice versa. How am I going to do if I want to view a set of pictures with a specific tag? On Vista it took two clicks and five seconds, now I can't do it at all.

Okay, I found the bar I was looking for in the Details view. Can I get it in the Medium Icons view too?

Could you rephrase please because that went right by me.

And where exactly is this Photo Gallery. I only have Photo Viewer. Maybe that the problem?

I thought you meant Windows Explorer right? The "Sort By" menu works with all the different types of icons I think.

As far as the Photo Viewer question goes I don't think Photo Viewer has much to offer. However the "Windows Live Photo Gallery" is a free download. I think it has what you're looking for.

Photo Gallery - Windows Live

Last edited:
I thought you meant Windows Explorer right? The \"Sort By\" menu works with all the different types of icons I think.\"http://download.live.com/photogallery\"

Yes, I want one thing for Explorer and another ting from the the photo whatever. And I know the menu but it's not what I need. Th menu only sorts back and forth, it doesn't exclude stuff. Like I want to see a pic(s) with a certain tag. In Vista I click the arrow by the Tags button on the Sort By bar and select the tags I want. In Win7 I can not do this AND get an over view. The Details folder view of Win7 have this bar, but the Medium Icons folder view, that gives me a good view of what I have doesn't. So how can I get the Sort By bar that looks like this:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

To the Medium Icons folder view.
The catch phrase of Win7 is supposed to be "Your PC simplified" Well, as far as I can tell they just complicated things. (Still like it more than Vista though)

As far as the Photo Viewer question goes I don't think Photo Viewer has much to offer. However the \"Windows Live Photo Gallery\" is a free download. I think it has what you're looking for.

Photo Gallery - Windows Live

I dug around a bit and found what I was looking for. Thanks. Although it wasn't really obvious what I had to do. I had to add the whole folder to the gallery to to what I wanted.

I've only had it for three days so...

But since it's so "customizable" (End quote ;) ) then you might tell me how to get my sorting bar.

This might not be what you're looking for but here's something kinda similar to your screenshot. In Windows Explorer the Details Pane down at the bottom gives information like File Name, Sharing, Tags, Ratings, Dimensions and Titles for each individual file you select. There are options to add tags, ratings and titles. If your Details Pane isn't being shown you can select it under: Organize - Layout.

This might not be what you're looking for but here's something kinda similar to your screenshot. In Windows Explorer the Details Pane down at the bottom gives information like File Name, Sharing, Tags, Ratings, Dimensions and Titles for each individual file you select. There are options to add tags, ratings and titles. If your Details Pane isn't being shown you can select it under: Organize - Layout.

Yeah. Got that, not what I need. *Sigh* Though the Photo Gallery has all of the stuff I need, and more. Well, maybe I have to admit defeat and go along with evolution. "Adapt or Die" as they say. Well, thank you for your help and your time. You have been most kind.

Taskbar, toolbar,soap bar, grab bar, even Sports Bar but, what's a sort bar? I am, however, familiar w/ "Sort by".

Look at the screenshot link I provided. That's a Sort By bar. I'm just annoyed with the icon layout on that view.

I finally realized what you're talking about. Yeah the only one it's available in is the Details View. The problem is you can't have that with a thumbnail right? I tried to google something that would add a thumbnail to the details view but I didn't find anything.

In the Sort By Menu in the View Menu you can click " More" and there is a whole long list of options you can add to the Sort By Menu. This adds more options to the Details View. Also the Choose Details button does the same thing.

Also the Details Pane at the bottom has a small thumbnail. You can grab the top edge of the Details Pane and stretch it up. This will make the thumbnail get big and add a bunch of details that you don't see with it narrow.

I know these aren't what you want but maybe there is something you could use there.

Last edited:
Back