Windows 7 Will windows 7 run on this pc?

Billy

Brand Dell
Model
Optiplex GX270
Processor Brand
Intel
Processor Type
Pentium 4
Processor Speed
2.4 GHz
Installed Memory
512MB
G
raphics Card Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Hard Drive Size 40GB
Optical 1
CDROM
Floppy
Yes
Ethernet
10/1000
Front USB Port(s) 2
Back USB Port(s)
Case Style
SFF

hi

hey thanks yea ive heard about the aero effects not working
gonna have to upgrade graphics card soon.

yea but it says if you can run vista u can windows 7 and i run vista perfect
its just as fast and smooth as windows xp

I have installed a x64 version on a laptop with only 512 RAM, 32MB of which was dedicated to graphics. Install went fine but laptop was sluggish. It did get 2GB more a week later though.

Nice! i do not like vista much
i mean the interface is awesome but its kinda buggy
i usually use xp or linux (to play with)

Yeah, if it says you can run windows 7 if you could run vista (and you said you ran Vista perfectly fine) than your good to go... And as loathe said, Windows 7 will run better than Vista.. ALOT better..

Just remember mate to back everything up first and make sure you have some method of going back ie. a Vista install DVD. The RC is only valid through till March. Best also to do a clean install. Good luck

Yes March 2010 but remember the Retail version of Windows 7 will be released on October 22nd, 2009 so you won't have to use the RC until 2010...

I'd also suggest downloading any drivers you will need PRIOR to installing Windows 7 just in case 7 doesn't find them itself.. I'm refering to the ethernet and motherboard chipset drivers mainly..

Last edited:
Windows 7 is very good at finding drivers but there's always a chance that it won't.. I'd hate to see you get it all installed and then be screwed over because of a missing driver.. That's why I suggest downloading them before you install Win 7.. Just in case..

Ok i downloaded windows 7 and burned it to a dvd (4x speed)
I need to know if it will run on 512mb of ram or not and if i can create a page file
Also my new computer wont be in until tomorrow which sucks

Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 06/11/2009.

It should be fine. Yeh you will need a page file, make it nice and big, maybe 2-3GB. You could always stick it a cheap USB drive that supports ReadyBoost and it will give you better performance. Having said that, RAM is dirt cheap now anyways.
Whats the specs of your new system?

oh i have a 4gb usb flash drive and a 8gb usb flash drive
anyway uhh here ya go
not brand new but new to me lol
i think it was made in 2005

Brand Dell
Model
Optiplex GX270
Processor Brand
Intel
Processor Type
Pentium 4