Windows 7 Will windows 7 run on this pc?

Billy

Brand Dell
Model
Optiplex GX270
Processor Brand
Intel
Processor Type
Pentium 4
Processor Speed
2.4 GHz
Installed Memory
512MB
G
raphics Card Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Hard Drive Size 40GB
Optical 1
CDROM
Floppy
Yes
Ethernet
10/1000
Front USB Port(s) 2
Back USB Port(s)
Case Style
SFF

hi

hey thanks yea ive heard about the aero effects not working :(
gonna have to upgrade graphics card soon.

yea but it says if you can run vista u can windows 7 and i run vista perfect
its just as fast and smooth as windows xp

I have installed a x64 version on a laptop with only 512 RAM, 32MB of which was dedicated to graphics. Install went fine but laptop was sluggish. It did get 2GB more a week later though.

Nice! i do not like vista much
i mean the interface is awesome but its kinda buggy
i usually use xp or linux (to play with)

Yeah, if it says you can run windows 7 if you could run vista (and you said you ran Vista perfectly fine) than your good to go... ;) And as loathe said, Windows 7 will run better than Vista.. ALOT better.. :)

Just remember mate to back everything up first and make sure you have some method of going back ie. a Vista install DVD. The RC is only valid through till March. Best also to do a clean install. Good luck

Yes March 2010 but remember the Retail version of Windows 7 will be released on October 22nd, 2009 so you won't have to use the RC until 2010... ;)

I'd also suggest downloading any drivers you will need PRIOR to installing Windows 7 just in case 7 doesn't find them itself.. ;) I'm refering to the ethernet and motherboard chipset drivers mainly.. ;)

Last edited:
Windows 7 is very good at finding drivers but there's always a chance that it won't.. I'd hate to see you get it all installed and then be screwed over because of a missing driver.. ;) That's why I suggest downloading them before you install Win 7.. Just in case.. ;)

Ok i downloaded windows 7 and burned it to a dvd (4x speed)
I need to know if it will run on 512mb of ram or not and if i can create a page file
Also my new computer wont be in until tomorrow which sucks :)

Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 06/11/2009.

It should be fine. Yeh you will need a page file, make it nice and big, maybe 2-3GB. You could always stick it a cheap USB drive that supports ReadyBoost and it will give you better performance. Having said that, RAM is dirt cheap now anyways.
Whats the specs of your new system?

oh i have a 4gb usb flash drive and a 8gb usb flash drive
anyway uhh here ya go :)
not brand new but new to me lol
i think it was made in 2005

Brand Dell
Model
Optiplex GX270
Processor Brand
Intel
Processor Type
Pentium 4