Windows 10 Windows 10 not booting after restart

audrius

Hi, I need urgent help with my Windows 10 64-bit. It was upgraded from win 8. was working fine. I turned off and turned back on after a few hours and it's not booting up any more. It's a laptop computer from Toshiba. All I get when I press on/off button is Toshiba logo, after a few seconds below the logo appears an animated message about trying to repair PC then it works like that for a few minutes and nicely disappears into dark screen and stays like that for a while. My wife told she's got a StartRep.exe error in the beginning. I can't find my repair disc. Are there any options boot to safe mode or is it an option to download Windows Media boot disk or any other advises? The most important thing to me is to get back the data. (When I had similar problem with my old Win XP laptop, I recovered the system but lost all the data so that old laptop wasn't worth anything any more) . Is it better to try to repair the existing system or try to restore files first without repairing the system?

Hi and welcome to the Forum :up:

Absolutely, the best thing to do is to MAKE CERTAIN THAT YOU HAVE ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA SAVED TO EXTERNAL MEDIA BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY FURTHER REPAIRS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!
This you already know from your past experience at trying to repair a broken XP computer, and you saw what happened there. There are several ways to do this, when your laptop is experiencing a what we call a "boot-loop" and you can't access your Windows desktop.
One really good way to go is to download the free Ubuntu LiveCD boot disc and bypass windows completely and use a Linux OS to access the information on your W10 hard drive and backup to external media such as a USB external hard drive, flash drive, or Cloud Computer storage account (i.e. Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, or Dropbox). Here's the link to download the Ubuntu and make a boot disc: How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

As long as your problem doesn't stem from a hardware failure such as a failing or failed hard drive, the Ubuntu rescue method works quite reliably and I use it frequently to rescue Customers who bork their systems inadvertently or get hit by a nasty virus. I even carry one around on my keychain, which is rather handy when I get an emergency call and I don't have all my toolkits with me in my truck.;)

Next, I see this problem very frequently, as folks who upgraded to W10 during the 1 year free upgrade period (July 29 2015 - July 29 2016) upgraded their older computers from W7/W8x but didn't run the Microsoft COMPATIBILITY TEST to see if their hardware, apps, or drivers had any issues with W10. The #1 problem I see in my repair shop are laptops and PCs that are running the upgrade just fine and stop and get stuck on the W10 repair screen as your did and can't boot. This is due to several different things, but the #1 reason on laptops is from a failing or failed hard drive. Since your hard drive had W8.1 on it, it's at least 3 years old. Modern laptops have hard drives that are only designed to last for 2 years no more!:eek: This means that your hard drive is HIGHLY LIKELY to be failing or have failed completely!:waah:

The only way to know if this is the case is to perform Hardware Testing on your laptop. There are 2 ways to do this: (1.) Take it to your local Computer Pro or repair shop and pay someone to test it for you, and (2.) DIY (Do It Yourself). If you decide to DIY, we can help you with that.
I wrote a very good Troubleshooting Guide that provides step-by-step instructions on how to test your own laptop hardware (works for PCs too). Here's the link: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

Getting the data backed up is your #1 task here as you already observed. Since this isn't done apparently, you need to handle that first. Once that's done you can work on data recovery. If you can't do it, or the Ubuntu method doesn't work, you could have a catastrophic drive failure on your hands. In this case you'll need to take it to a licensed Computer Tech in your area and pay him to do the data recovery first. If it works the Tech will give you your data back on DVD discs, USB flash drive, or a USB external hard drive. That's if he can get anything back at all. Depending on how badly the drive is damaged, the Tech may tell you he can't get it anything off of it since he can't read it with any of his equipment. He'll further tell you that it will need to be sent out to very very expensive professional data recovery. The last one of these I did in May of this year ran me $550 US. So, the data you have on that drive needs to be very crucial and irrecoverable any other way such as personal or business Tax Returns, Family Photo Archives, etc.

What I usually suggest to my Customers in this situation, is to remove the drive from your laptop and set it aside (after all your other attempts at recovering data from it have failed) and purchase a brand new replacement hard drive from ebay, amazon, newegg, or other reputable online seller. Then do a W10 Clean Install from bootable media downloaded free from Microsoft website here: Windows 10
This will provide you with the MCT tool which can create a bootable W10 install disk or usb drive with which to reinstall your W10 on your laptop. If you have factory Recovery Media *Discs or USB* that came with your Toshiba laptop or that you made using the Toshiba Recovery Assistant, those are better.
This allows you to get your laptop running again, and time to reinstall all your programs and apps which you will have to do on a blank replacement hard drive you install yourself. The programs you installed after you purchased the laptop will not be recovered by any of the above methods. During the 2 weeks -3 months or so you are rebuilding your laptop (that's how long it takes me to do it), you can have your original hard drive in at your local repair shop for data recovery. Hopefully, your local Tech can get some or even most of your data back. This normally takes me 7-10 days. That's not too long to wait, as you'll be quite busy rebuilding your laptop, reinstalling programs, etc. If and when you get your data back on media from your local Tech, you can simply plug it into your laptop and copy it all back over. This can take a few days to find the right places to copy it back over to, or simply copy it all to a folder called OLD DATA or similar. And organize it later. This allows the process to proceed in parallel, you can be ordering a new drive, installing W10, then programs, while your data recovery is being done on that set aside original hard drive. This process works very well for the majority of my customers.

This is probably more information than you asked for; but, if you brought it into my shop; this is exactly what I'd tell you to do. Several of our other volunteers here are also doing the same thing and have their own repair shops, they may advise you differently. So, you may get some additional input.

Main thing is, don't be afraid to ask questions along the way whether your are paying a pro to help you or just doing it DIY method. We are here 24x7x365 and are very good at responding back to you in a timely manner as best we can.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thank you BIGBEARJEDI for your in-depth reply.
OK, an upate: tried Ubuntu LiveCD. It sees the hdd can list logical partitions in terminal but cannot mount due to i/o errors and recommends to run chkdsk /f from windows installation media. I tried to run start up repair - failed. Tried to run chkdsk /f or /r even without argument it runs so slow that it would require 3 months 24h a day to go through. Tried until sector 250, 9-250 unreadable. So, now thinking of replacing old hdd with a new ssd and need to find the best way to try to recover any data if possible.

Thank you BIGBEARJEDI for your in-depth reply.
OK, an upate: tried Ubuntu LiveCD. It sees the hdd can list logical partitions in terminal but cannot mount due to i/o errors and recommends to run chkdsk /f from windows installation media. I tried to run start up repair - failed. Tried to run chkdsk /f or /r even without argument it runs so slow that it would require 3 months 24h a day to go through. Tried until sector 250, 9-250 unreadable. So, now thinking of replacing old hdd with a new ssd and need to find the best way to try to recover any data if possible.
Yes, it could be the best way to replace HDD with SSD drive. To protect your data safe, you may use the third party software like AOMEI Backupper to backup/clone data from HDD to SSD drive without issues, I have done it successfully before once. EaseUS Todo Backup, and Macrium Reflect are all work.

Yes, it could be the best way to replace HDD with SSD drive. To protect your data safe, you may use the third party software like AOMEI Backupper to backup/clone data from HDD to SSD drive without issues, I have done it successfully before once. EaseUS Todo Backup, and Macrium Reflect are all work.

My biggest question is how to get data from the broken HDD. Can these mentioned programs read data from unreadable (for chkdsk) sectors when cloning a drive?

Back
Top Bottom