Windows 10 Windows 10 Pro will not turn off File/Printer sharing on network

trstick1

I have my Windows 10 Pro computer to connected to cable modem via Ethernet. I am not using Wi-Fi, just Ethernet only.
I discovered two folders that I have not seen before. I deleted the folders and tried to turn off file sharing. I clinked to save changes and looked at the file explorer and file and printer sharing in under public user is still enabled. The folders still showed up. I am not on any network. I have changed the cable modem password a month ago. I am not on any home network.

If you look at the folder with various small files, I am unable to open any of these files. I have Kaspersky Internet Security, Malwarebytes, Spy Bot 2 and Cybereason RandomwareFree. I did all scans and my hard drive is clean. Why do I have a network drive A:?

A: is disabled in BIOS since I have no floppy drive. Network discovery is turned off, not enabled. No one else is using my desktop computer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_15.png
    Screenshot_15.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 424
  • Screenshot_13.png
    Screenshot_13.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 419
  • Screenshot_11.png
    Screenshot_11.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 382
  • Screenshot_12.png
    Screenshot_12.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Right click on Drive A and choose the disconnect option.

I did that and got a message that this network connection does not exist.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

What if you run a command prompt as Administrator and issue "net use A: /delete" ?

I get a system error 67. Network name can not be found. I will have to check to see the windows logs for any software created these files.

Found out why l am getting the disconnected network drive and those 2 folders in the user account. I installed a free program that detects any Randomware and it created the network drive as an additional method for detecting ransonwware. The application is RansomFree by Cybereason.

Just saw this post today. Yup these random folders are created by CyberReason. They are ransomware honey pots. If you delete them CR will just recreate them.

@neemo: Good info there; haven't seen that particular AV app before.:)

@trstick1: Since your PC or laptop is directly connected to the Cable Modem via Ethernet, you don't have a network (LAN) by strict definition, however you are on an internal network created by the Cable Modem. This can be enabled even without a physical router box, as there is an internal network connection for 1 computer on your Cable Modem which is the Ethernet port. Make sure that you do not have W10 Homegroups enabled. If you do, unjoin your computer from it, reboot and look at your Network sharing settings again. Most likely that will correct it and turn off that setting. :up:
If it does not, you have Windows corruption at the system file level or virus/malware damage. You can use W10 SYSTEM RESTORE to "rollback" your system to a point in time prior to this problem occurring. This is another easy fix. :up:

If it still doesn't work, try this:
you could try running DISM:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is excerpted from one of our Admins, kemical, who often posts this as a first step repair for this kind of problem.

Before proceeding with any Software repairs of any kind, you should FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!

If the problem persists after these suggested repairs, you could have a faulty Cable Modem! :waah: If you have access to a different computer with W7/W8x/W10 or laptop, borrow it and plug into your Cable Modem. W10 would be the best if you can, and recheck your Network sharing options. If they are fixed on the Test computer, it could be your Cable Modem. But, before I would call your ISP to replace it, I would test the hardware in your computer. I wrote a Troubleshooting Guide to help you do this here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
After testing your HW and replacing either Hard Drive or any RAM sticks that failed these tests (or everything Passes Ok), you can click on the link in the Guide to the Software testing/repair section and seek remedy there. Your computer may still require possible Windows Reset or Windows Reinstallation from factory Recovery Media (DVD or USB) to fix this problem.

After completing HW testing and replacing any bad components, and resetting and/or reinstalling W10 completely, and the problem still persists, at that point I'd replace your Cable Modem-call your ISP to do that! If you have a 2nd W10 computer to test the Cable Modem with as above, and it worked Ok; you probably won't have to do this step. If it did NOT work; my guess would be your Cable Modem is hosed! Do you have the Cable Modem plugged into a Surge Protector? If not, electrical storms this time of year fry many of my Customer's Cable or DSL modems; as they don't know they are supposed to be plugged into a Surge Protector just like their computer, laptop, or TV.

Hope that helps!:nerdie:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>:brew:

i had seen this post only today also … if i were trstick1, i'd ask cybereason if they placed that a:\ directory key inside the registry. honey-pots are utilized is for ransomware to land upon those files first. while ransomware is encrypting those files, cybereason has chance to stop the attack on valid and important files. "a" is first letter of the alphabet … logically, ransomware would start at this drive. anyway … that's about all i know.

seriously, trstick1 … feel free to contact them … they have small message-board on google … and they reply to contact-mails as well.

cybereason's ransomfree was first approached in this post:
Ransomware software

Last edited:
I did contact Cybereason. They told me that they use the A: as a network drive as a way to catch randomware so that randomware won't attack the c: primary drive.

Sent from my Mix using Tapatalk

I do not have homegroup enabled. The cable modem is supplied by the cable/internet provider. I have it setup so that nobody can use my WiFi without a strong password I created for it.

I am a long time pc builder. I build my system and for my friends. I know about surge protectors and UPS battery backup systems. I always have one. Most surge protectors can protect your system only one time after a power surge and will not protect the second time there is another power surge. A surge protector is good for only two years and needs to be replaced. After a power surge, the MOVs inside the surge protector gets damaged and the protector stops working. That is why I use Zero Surge protectors. They last a lifetime and have never failed after a power surge.

would group policy be an area that could fix this? since a share is supposed to work on the same network (in theory).

Back
Top Bottom