Windows 11 time and date won't stay correct.

Vinnyt

I maintain several Windows 11 Pro and one Windows 11 Home PC's. Some personal and some for a business.
No matter what time and region settings are applied the time always is incorrect whenever users log in. Also the PC's would not stay on 24hr time.
For the business it causes incorrect time stamps on sensitive documents and for all users some confusion and frustration.
It also caused some windows upgrades (Home to Pro) to fail.

While writing this I had a thought and checked the BIOS clocks on the affected machines. The BIOS clocks were wrong on all machines and once corrected the problem was temporaly resolved. These computers have various brands of motherboards.
These machines previously have been working correctly for more than a year and the only conclusion I can come to is that recent Windows 11 updates have somehow corrupted the BIOS clock. Not all PC's the were affected by this issue.

The issue reappeared and I found anotuer solution submitted by someone who had this issue on windows 10.

Add RealTimeIsUniversal DWORD in Registry Editor
Once Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following key in the left pane

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
Right-click the empty space and select New > QWORD (64-bit) Value.

Enter RealTimeIsUniversal as the name of the new value and double click it.

Set its Value data to 1 and click OK to save changes.

Now restart your computer and set the time again if necessary.
It works fine (so far) after that for me. No thanks to Microsoft who have done nothing for the many users who have had this issue.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate to hear that you're experiencing issues with the time and date settings on your Windows 11 machines. Corrupted BIOS clocks can indeed cause time-related problems on your computers. While it is uncommon for Windows updates to directly affect the BIOS, it's possible that other changes made during the update process indirectly caused this issue.

To troubleshoot this further and prevent future occurrences, I recommend the following steps:

1. Ensure that your Windows 11 machines have the correct time zone set: Go to Settings > Time & Language > Date & Time, and verify that the correct time zone is selected. Also, ensure that the "Set time automatically" and "Set time zone automatically" options are enabled.

2. Update your BIOS: Visit the manufacturer's website for each affected computer and search for the latest BIOS update. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to install the update, as this may fix any known issues with the BIOS clock.

3. Reset CMOS settings: If updating the BIOS doesn't resolve the issue, you can try resetting the CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) settings on your machines. Resetting the CMOS will revert all BIOS settings to their default values, which could potentially resolve the problem. Please note that the exact steps to reset CMOS can vary depending on your computer's make and model, so refer to the manufacturer's documentation or support forums for detailed instructions.

4. Contact manufacturer support: If the issue persists after trying the above steps, it's a good idea to reach out to your computer manufacturer's support team or visit their forums for further assistance. They may have specific troubleshooting steps or firmware updates to address this issue.

Additionally, regarding the Windows upgrades failing due to incorrect time stamps, I recommend ensuring that the correct time and date are set on your machines before attempting any upgrades. This can help prevent any issues related to time discrepancies during the installation process.

Remember to always create backups of important data and documents before making any major changes to your system, such as updating the BIOS or resetting CMOS settings.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the time and date settings on your Windows 11 Pro and Home PCs. It can be frustrating and confusing when the time is incorrect, especially for sensitive documents and business operations.

Based on your description, it seems that the BIOS clocks on the affected machines were incorrect, and correcting them temporarily resolved the issue. It's possible that recent Windows 11 updates may have somehow corrupted the BIOS clock on these machines.

It's worth noting that the BIOS clock is separate from the Windows time settings, so changing the registry value you mentioned may not directly affect the BIOS clock. However, it's still worth trying as a possible workaround.

To further troubleshoot the issue, here are a few suggestions:

1. Ensure that your Windows 11 PCs have the correct time zone and region settings configured. You can check this by going to Settings > Time & Language > Date & Time.

2. Verify that the time synchronization services are running correctly. Windows automatically synchronizes the time with time.windows.com by default. You can check this by going to Settings > Time & Language > Date & Time > Additional date, time, & regional settings > Set the time and date > Internet Time tab.

3. Update your BIOS firmware to the latest version provided by the motherboard manufacturer. This can help resolve any potential BIOS clock issues.

4. Check if there are any BIOS updates specifically related to timekeeping or clock functions. Some motherboard manufacturers release BIOS updates to address such issues.

5. Consider reaching out to the motherboard manufacturer's support or checking their forums for any known issues or solutions related to BIOS clock problems.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it may be worth contacting Microsoft Support for further assistance. They have dedicated teams who can help troubleshoot and resolve Windows-related issues.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the time and date issues on your Windows 11 PCs.

I am not pleased with your condercending reply.
If you had correctly read the first post you might realise it is NOT a problem with one PC.
It is multiple computers with different motherboards and different BIOS.
Your suggestions might be usefull for one occurance of this. I have tried all your suggestions on multiple computers before you suggested them and nothing works permantly.
Some may for a while keep correct time but will not maintain other settings eg- 24hr time or such things as "Copy your currrent settings to: Welcome screen and system accounts and New user accounts."
Some of these machines are on the insider program so have different editions of Windows 11 and have the same issues.

Many other users have the same issues and it was an issue previously with Windows 10 so it is obviously a Windows bug.

Just an FYi, you have been talking to a chatbot so it I don't think it can really be condescending :) . Is this impacting ALL of your computers? Assuming they are on the same network. Do they have any tweaks to the local firewall? Do you have a border firewall? If this is all your computers and/or you have an additional firewall or tweaks to the local you may want to make sure you are not denying traffic to NTP port 123 otherwise your system times will constantly drift.

Back
Top Bottom