Windows 7 Windows 7 boot (Grub4Dos)

Eoiic

Some time ago I had Ubuntu Linux(alongside Windows 7) but now when I start my computer I have only option to press ESC and when red GRUB4DOS window appear. I really don't know how to use It. I have Windows 7 cd but I don't know how to boot It, because I can't change boot priority in BIOS(can't change anything either way).

How can I boot my Windows 7 cd to install Windows and get rid of that red GRUB4DOS window?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum:

It would certainly help us to help you if you provided make/model of your computer, and whether a desktop PC or a laptop.

Not sure how you intalled your dual-boot before, but, it's never a good idea to install Linux first onto a hard drive and then add Windows (Win7 in your case). If you installed your Win7 on your computer or Win7 came pre-loaded if it's an OEM computer (DELL, HP, ACER/GATEWAY, ASUS, etc.), and then installed your Ubuntu, you may be having problems with a failed hard drive or UEFI BIOS options. If you can't change your BIOS boot priority, then you are either unaware of how to change it (UEFI is tricky and you should download the Owner's Manual from the manufacturer's website to figure it out. If it's still not working, you should remove your hard drive and test it with free SEATOOLS drive diagnostic from seagate.com. If SEATOOLS returns any errors on either short or long tests, your drive has failed. I would also suggest that you disconnect or remove the hard drive and repeat the boot test; in both UEFI and non-UEFI BIOSES, you should be able to switch boot priority using a keyboard-combo of keystrokes such as <ctrl+f10> or <ctrl+f9> or similar between the other internal devices such as DVD writer, or USB flash drive, or even a network adapter boot. If you cannot do that with the hard drive removed, either the hard drive has failed, or your Mobo has failed.

If your Mobo has failed you may be able to perform a flash BIOS update. However this is EXTREMELY RISKY to do if you've never done it before. This will often correct the problem you are having. In either case, you SHOULD ENSURE THAT YOU BACKUP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA PRIOR TO THE BIOS UPDATE IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE THAT ALREADY--THAT'S YOUR FIRST STEP!!
We here at the forum urge you to take your computer to a licensed Computer Pro at a repair shop in your area and pay a professional to do this for you. Failing to do this could cost as much as $1500 to replace your Mobo if you brick it in a failed attempt depending on where in the world you live and the model of your computer.

I run Ubuntu dual-boot setup with Win7 on multiple machines without a problem. It's quite likely you are doing something wrong or you have failed hardware, or your original dual-boot setup was done incorrectly.

Post back answers and we can advise you further.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks for your answer. My computer model is Fujitsu Siemens. Quite old loptop. Well, I'll try to remove hard drive and use a keyboard-combo of keystrokes.
Anyway, It is hard to do BIOS update? I have never done It before.

You're welcome!:) Fujitsu Siemens is the Make of the laptop; a model number would be something like "Inspiron 1545" or "VAIO VGH-FW139E". The reason we ask this is so we can help look up the website with the appropriate BIOS version for your exact model should you pursue doing the update yourself.

The answer I would give you is it's not Hard, if you've done it before, and have undergone proper training on how to do it. I've taught Technicians and Engineers how to do it in professional certification classes for 14 years, and many of them even with Insructor supervision during lab sessions still fail to do it correctly on their 1st attempt, and "brick" their Motherboards. We used donated computers at some schools and the College I taught at so it's not a big deal in a Classroom lab environment. However, if you "brick" your Mobo it could cost you from $175-$1500 to replace, as I mentioned. Thus the Warning I provided.

Think of it as taking apart a Transmission on your car; it's not that difficult once you've done it before, and you've been trained how to do it in a Classroom environment with an Instructor right their to guide you. But, most people unless they are very mechanically inclined can take a transmission apart on the first try, but very few probably 99% will fail to reassemble it in working order.o_O Would you take apart the Transmission in your car if you've never done it before? *-) Especially if that's your only car and you need it to get around town, go to work, take the kids, run errands, go shopping etc.?? If you answer NO to any of these questions, that you cannot afford to have your car broken because you took the chance on fixing it without proper training, then you should NOT attempt the BIOS update--pay a professional to do it. It's usually $35-$100 US and is a whole lot cheaper than having to replace your Motherboard; that too takes skill so if you haven't done that before and you "brick" your Mobo and just order a replacement board, just the part often costs $100-$400, so IMO it's not really worth the risk.

However, if this is just an experimental laptop you use for a "lab-rat", and not a "daily-driver", and you have another computer (desktop PC or another laptop/tablet) to use for everyday tasks, then you may consider to attempt it. Since you are new here and we don't know you or your situation, we are left to guess about this, but like my analogy above, if this laptop is your only computer, like the only car scenario, you don't want to "experiment" on it like you'd be doing if you weren't professionally trained to perform a BIOS update.

I think you get the picture.

Let us know how it turns out and your Model number of the laptop. Sometimes, laptop makers will put the Model number of the laptop printed inside of the battery compartment, so you may need to remove your battery and unplug it from the Wall outlet (MAINS) and get a flashlight and magnifying glass to read the numbers.

<<<BBJ>>>

I found that computer model is AMILO Li 2727 MS2228. Anyway, I have never done BIOS update before and It's my only computer so I might pay a professional to fix that. Thank you very much for advice. :)

Sounds like a good idea.;) And you're very welcome!:up: We're always glad to help.

Just one more thing that might be of interest; check out this page on the Fujitsu-Siemens support website, they have drivers for Win7 that may help with the problem you are having with your model located here: Fujitsu Technical Support pages from Fujitsu Fujitsu Continental Europe, Middle East, Africa & India

After doing a little more research, it appears that your model laptop is NOT compatible with Win7 (it came with Vista which you didn't mention) and apparently you upgraded it. Since the there is no BIOS flash update made by Fujitsu-Siemens for Win7 (or newer), even if you pay a Tech to do the flash update, it probably won't work, as your Motherboard hardware is just too old to support it.:waah: Unfortunately, this is bad news for that laptop and the way you want to use it. One solution you might consider is to replace that laptop with a newer laptop, preferably one that comes pre-loaded with Win7 onto which you can then load your Ubuntu Linux. This works on multiple machines I have as I said. I didn't check this before, since I didn't have your exact Model computer, but now that I do, I found out what you are trying to do isn't possible--and therefore you probably got pretty frustrated, right?:furious: This is not uncommon, because people think that their laptops can be upgraded to newer and newer versions of Windows indefinitely--and that surely is not so, as with your computer--it's also a factor which is dependent on whether your Motherboard hardware is also capable of supporting that newer Windows version at the HAL layer, and to do that the laptop manufacturer must have created updateds to do this. In your case, F-J never updated the BIOS for Win7 nor any of the other drivers such as video, DVD, wireless, bluetooth, LCD panel, webcam, etc.; so your laptop is stuck running Vista forever.:(

Also, you didn't answer my question about the order you installed your Win7 and Linux in the dual-boot configuration; so I'll ask again, on that Fujitsu-Siemens laptop, did you install Ubuntu Linux onto an existing Win7 hard drive setup? Or did you wipe the hard drive, install the Ubuntu, and then add Win7 onto the Linux config?? This can be important as I said.

Good job on finding and providing your exact Model number on that laptop!!

Let us know how things turn out.

Best,
<<<BBJ>>> :cool:

Yeah, It's quite disappointing news. I installed Ubuntu Linux onto an existing Windows 7 hard drive setup.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:( Thanks for the response; your installation method was sound. The other way doesn't work.
Time to replace that laptop I guess; or just keep running it on W7/Ubuntu as is.

<<<BBJ>>>

Back