Windows 7 Windows 7 "host file" is the way to block malicious website?

tonyblah

While visiting a website, my FireFox 3 web browser redirected me to a malicious website.
That website tricks people into downloading so-called "Anti-Virus" software to stop a virus
from spreading in the computer.

Some people said the solution would be to edit the "Host" file. So I did. I added the line in
the "Host" file:

127.0.0.1 microscano.info

Do you guys think it will work?

While visiting a website, my FireFox 3 web browser redirected me to a malicious website.
That website tricks people into downloading so-called \"Anti-Virus\" software to stop a virus

Some people said the solution would be to edit the \"Host\" file. So I did. I added the line in
the \"Host\" file:

Install NoScript to protect you from malicious redirects in the future. But yes that will work for that particular site or any other one you wish to block.

NoScript is too powerful. Lots of websites that are embedded with video (e.g., YouTube) won't display unless you turn off NoScript. I think for now I'm settled with the "Host" file method.

If I want to block another website, do I edit the "Host" file this way?

127.0.0.1 another website

Yeah I find it too intrusive myself but yes that method would work for whatever site you wish to block. Always use 'yahoo.com' instead of 'www.yahoo.com' to block the entire domain. Remember that you cannot use wildcards in the hosts file either like '*yahoo*'. Good luck!

That website tricks people into downloading so-called \"Anti-Virus\" software to stop a virus

Some people said the solution would be to edit the \"Host\" file. So I did. I added the line in
the \"Host\" file:

Yes
Safest bet for you.
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

Instructions are there and so is the new host file, Update your host file once a month when they update the mvps, if you have slow progress with net surfing with mvps, disable dns client service.

Last edited:
I use the Hosts file from the link in message 5, I also add my own things. For over a year I hit on something that blocked almost everything on the MSN page except where to click for Hotmail Messenger etc. I use Hosts Toggle to turn it off if needed and edit the file for annoying links. The Hosts Toggle didn't work on 64 bit in the normal way. I added task in task scheduler and it works now. I've had to do that for a couple other things.
Joe

I use the Hosts file from the link in message 5, I also add my own things. For over a year I hit on something that blocked almost everything on the MSN page except where to click for Hotmail Messenger etc. I use Hosts Toggle to turn it off if needed and edit the file for annoying links. The Hosts Toggle didn't work on 64 bit in the normal way. I added task in task scheduler and it works now. I've had to do that for a couple other things.
Joe

There's a reason why "I hit on something that blocked almost everything on the MSN page" because you are being protected and or you stated " I also add my own things". MVPS will block 3rd party link tracking, which msn probly does 3rd party link tracking etc.
But other than that if you have a problem clicking something then you are more than likely being protected.:D

Edit:
I went to msn.com and bing.com seems like everything there is working fine for me,airfares& travel, entertainment, dating and personals, hotmail, stocks, all is well on my side.

Last edited:
Back